Revision Manager - associated drafts within an assembly

Legend
Legend

I appologize if this has been covered before, but I've searched multiple threads on Revision Manager, and I've not found the answer yet.

What is the "secret" to getting all your part drafts copied, or renamed, of everything associated with an assembly? I know to do a Where Used after highlighting the entire assembly. I see all those associated drafts in the lower window, but WHY do I have to copy/rename each file path/name?

I've seen talk about selecting by type, and that's great, but I can't do a mass copy/rename in that lower window. I'm sure I'm not doing something correctly, and I'm ready for my lesson!

Thanks

Michael

ST8 MP9
Go FAST, or go home.
82 REPLIES

Re: Revision Manager - associated drafts within an assembly

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

I'm not sure I understand your question but usually I use the lower window to be sure that things renamed in the top window will update, or not update, in the WU files in the lower window. I personally never rename files in the lower window although I can imagine scenarios where you might want to.

Bruce Shand
ST9 MP8 - Insight - Win10 - K4200

Legend
Legend

I'll try to exlain with more clarity. Heck, maybe I've been taught a backwards way to do this!

When I copy an assemby, I use Revision Manager from the draft of the assembly. That captures all the parts within the assembly to copy. I highlight all expanded items within the assembly, and do a where used. In the lower window, I then can then see all the drafts associated with the parts within the assembly. I want to copy all those drafts as well. At this point, I've not seen a way to do a mass copy of all those part drafts that are shown in the lower window. I have to name the path manually for each part draft in the lower window.

ST8 MP9
Go FAST, or go home.

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Are the paths for the drafts to be renamed differently? If so, then I don't see how RevMan could know what you want. Maybe a clever find and replace could accomplish what you want? If they're to be the same path then "set path" will do it the same as in the top window. Or maybe they are grouped in such a way that you could hilite a group and set the path, then hilite the next group and set the path, etc.

Bruce Shand

Legend
Legend

The drafts need to follow the parts that are being copied. At this point, I have all of my copied parts going in the same folder as the copied assembly. I do have some common parts that are used on multiple projects, so of course I'm not copying them.

I don't have the choice to use set path in the lower window. I can select by type and hilight all the drafts that I want to copy, but there are no action buttons available at this point.

ST8 MP9
Go FAST, or go home.

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Perhaps this is your problem: the lines in the window have to be hilighted (yellow) in order to have actions available. Of course you said they are hilighted. So I don't get why there are no actions.

Maybe you can post a screen shot?

Bruce Shand

Legend
Legend

When I filter with the Select By Type, it highlights all those drafts that I want to copy. NONE of the action buttons are available at this point. In fact, the action buttons are not avaible for anything in the lower window, either single files or multiple files.

ST8 MP9
Go FAST, or go home.

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

The only things for me which won't show actions are parts or the same files which I have pending actions on in the top window.

Bruce Shand

Legend
Legend

Correction on my side: I can get Copy and Rename actions when I hilight a single item in the bottom window, in the Where Used column. But, that is what I do now, type in the new name one by one, all the drafts of the parts within the assembly.

Maybe someone can chime in and share how they do a quick sweep of copying all part and draft files within an assembly.

ST8 MP9
Go FAST, or go home.

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

It makes sense that you can't change parts in the lower window.

So you would change all direct (report to the draft which you start with) part/assy names and paths in the top window and any used-in asm and dft files in the lower window.

But you should be able to perform actions on multiple selected files in the lower window. Just make sure no parts are selected or that will grey out the actions.

Bruce Shand