Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Revision Manager - associated drafts within an assembly

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

Also make sure no assemblies that appear in the top window are hilighted in the lower window. That will also grey out actions.

Bruce Shand
SE2019 MP4 - Insight - Win10 - K4200

Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

I agree with BoatTech. Open the draft file and you can easily get everything associated with the draft and the assembly. I typically copy the files to a new location, then open the draft from the new location and rename file from there and a new session of revision manager.

The real problems are when you have a multi-headed set up and multiple directory's, and when you have parts you don't to copy. Then things get very time consuming, impossible, or not intuitive.

The part you want to leave in the original reference is not to bad to deal with, you just un-highlight them before the first copy.

Multiple directories of multiple draft files...this is where I'm still lost.

I wish there was a way to start the process with multiple draft files, then tell revision manager what the top level "container/directory" is, then recreate the sub directories under that point while copying the files.

When working on moving this kind of a file structure, how does one copy say a second draft file that is to be associated with model files that were already copied because they were associated with a different draft file?

Also, it would be nice (it may already work this way, but I have not the time to find out) if items marked as hardware would automatically NOT be copied and stay pointing to the originals files. This way, all the files that point to "standard parts" would only need a single copy on the server.

This I'm not sure I follow, but if I do I think RevMan may be able if you use find/replace to add to or change a part of the path on selected files:

"I wish there was a way to start the process with multiple draft files, then tell revision manager what the top level "container/directory" is, then recreate the sub directories under that point while copying the files."

This is also something that Ztree (an explorer type, but much more capable, shell) excels at and you may consider more user friendly. I used to use it all the time to take projects home and maintain path structures identical to the ones on the network.

This I think I do:

"When working on moving this kind of a file structure, how does one copy say a second draft file that is to be associated with model files that were already copied because they were associated with a different draft file?"

This is what the where used window is for and why it's best used when you initially change parts. That way you can update all or selected draft files to which the files report and not end up with broken links.

As for standard parts or any parts that you don't want copied that are in identified folders or have something unique in their names or paths you simply do a wildcard "select files" with the "deselect" option checked. In the case of standard parts, lets say you selected everything in the top window, then you would simply deselect "*standard parts*", before or after applying an action.

Bruce Shand

Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

Editing the directories. This can be done, but is VERY time consuming. I have found it faster to move each sub assembly draft and model files each by them selves, then re-assembly the top model file rather than trying to work with revision manager.

I'm not going to individually edit the path of 100 files.

Now lets say I moved a collection of files including a draft and assembly. Now I have another draft file that uses the same model files. when I copy that in separate operation, how do I tell it to point to the already copied files? I need to do this separately, because it also has a few of it's own model files.

Where is the "deselect hardware parts" switch. I don't want to take the time to find all 50 of them. It's cheaper to just let the parts copy and take up a bit more storage space.

If I understand I guess if you're copying and not just updating drafts then I guess I'd copy them first, then do the change to the model files in RevMan and update the new drafts in the where used window. Or, set action to copy the drafts you want to copy in the where used window before performing actions.

"I'm not going to individually edit the path of 100 files." You must already be doing that by other means.

Bruce Shand

'Where is the "deselect hardware parts" switch. I don't want to take the time to find all 50 of them. It's cheaper to just let the parts copy and take up a bit more storage space.'

You really need to reread what I said about that but see attached image.

Bruce Shand

Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

I was hoping there was some way to refer to the hardware switch, the one that applies to how hardware is used in drawing views. Not just how the files are named.

Back the multiple draft issues.

Lets say I start with an assembly and it's draft. Then use where used get a hold of the other 10 draft files associated with 10 of the sub assemblies. Now how do I get a hold of the parts only associated with the additional 10 draft files? maintaining the directory structure also is too time consuming to edit the 100+ files in 10+ directories.

Re-assembling the 10 sub assemblies and creating a new top level draft takes less time. It's just frustrating there is no "Clone project" button sometimes.

That might make a nice enhancement. The setting is there, why not make it more useful? Especially if you store such files among others and don't have any unique naming characteristics.

Bruce Shand

Genius
Genius

Hi Michael/Boattech,

You cannot set an action in the bottom panel for a select set (multiple yellow lines) if it includes a file that has already an action assigned in the top panel. In your case, you probably have an action set to the top level DFT in the top panel.

My best practise is to always open an assembly file in the top panel instead of a draft.

Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

There in is the problem for me. (previous post)

I draw tanks made from sheet metal. Most tank have the same parts of different sizes. My top level assemblies have multiple parts with the same names living in different directories.

There is a very long story why this is the case. The nutshell explanation is that this is a work around because I must have Back gage and Stick out on sheet metal bend tables.