Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Revision Manager - associated drafts within an assembly

Gears Phenom Gears Phenom
Gears Phenom

I like SE to work with, but reusing a project is a real PITA!!

If you use subfolders and a lot of linked variables it is impossible to copy your project to start with for a new project. 

The subfolders can't be recreated automatically in RM and the linked variables aren't always reassigned. So totally unusable.

...........................................................................................................
Solid Edge 2019 & AutoCAD 2019 user

Legend
Legend

Okay, so what am I missing here? I've copied my assembly and parts, did a where used so i can copy my part drafts. Where do I copy all those selected drafts at once? I see NOTHING that allows me to do a mass copy and replace all the associated drafts.

I'm sure I'm doing something wrong, but someone said it works, and I have yet to see how.

ST8 MP9
Go FAST, or go home.

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

First, unselect the two drafts in the lower window with a copy action. It was previously mentioned that you can't select files in the lower window that have actions in the upper window.

Bruce Shand
SE2019 MP4 - Insight - Win10 - K4200

Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

You just hit the nail on the head......You don't.

You can only copy one draft and associated set of files using revision manager. (Start with the draft). If you want copy more than one draft, you need to end up with separate sets of model files for each draft.

What I have found is the least work is to copy each sub assembly and it's draft. then re-make and re-draft the top assembly.

Legend
Legend

"First, unselect the two drafts in the lower window with a copy action. It was previously mentioned that you can't select files in the lower window that have actions in the upper window."

Ahhhhhh! Works, now to do some more testing. Your patience is very appreciated!

ST8 MP9
Go FAST, or go home.

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

"You just hit the nail on the head......You don't."

Actually, you do...

Bruce Shand
SE2019 MP4 - Insight - Win10 - K4200

Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

Guess I'm not willing to take the time to edit the path of 100+ files. I can't find a way to re-create the directory structure without manually editing each one. I also cant put all the files in the same directory because some of the files have the same name. I can't rename the files because I want the variable names to match the file names. I have a ton of variable to create bend tables that include back gage and stick out.

If any one of the following would give way. Many of my problems would be solved:

Copy project button in revision manager

Add back gage and stick out to bend tables

String math allowed in variables (IE varible name = Assembly name + Part name+ text string)

Huge can of worms with no effective solution

Genius
Genius

@BoatTech wrote:

"First, unselect the two drafts in the lower window with a copy action. It was previously mentioned that you can't select files in the lower window that have actions in the upper window."

Ahhhhhh! Works, now to do some more testing. Your patience is very appreciated!

Hi Boattech,

I'm glad to see you get the hang of it now. We usually open the top level .asm file in the top screen and do .dft actions in the bottom screen only. This avoids the problem you had.

RevMan can be a bit confusing at first but it is quite powerful once you get to know it. Some things most new users struggle with:

- If you want to manually (de)select yellow lines, you must use CTRL or SHIFT and click the small grey blocks at the far left. 

- If you want to copy or rename all files to a single folder, the Set Path action is fine.

- If you need to retain a certain subfolder structure when copying, do not use Set Path but the Replace function. For instance, replace C:\Project_01\3Dfiles with C:\Project_02\3Dfiles. 

Phenom
Phenom

Not sure if this has been mentioned but there is also the 'Select Files' function.

Works in either window.

All our hardware is kept in sub-folders in a main folder called "_Library Parts".

All our project stuff is kept in sub-folders in a main folder called "_Projects"

So to copy a complete assembly including draft files I would open the top-level assembly in RM

Expand All

Select All

Click Select Files

In the box enter *\_Library Parts\*

(you only need to define enough of the path to get the correct files)

Click "Deselect Files" - this removes all library parts from the select set

click Close

Set actions to copy

Where Used > Define the search paths and select draft files only

Click on lower window

Click Select Files

In the box enter *.dft*

click Close

Set actions to copy

on the Edit group click Replace

Enter the part of the path you want to replace in the top box.

Enter the new path in the bottom box

Note that you only need to replace the common part of the path - you don't need to do all sub-folders as they will be created when processing (you will be prompted for this).

So, for example, I would replace "\_Projects\12345\" with "\_Projects\67890\"

Again I would define just enough to make sure the new path was correct.

Do this for top and bottom windows.

Check everything looks OK

Click perform Actions.

Instead of select all then deselect, you could just as easily select "\_Projects\" and you would only get those files in the project folder.

HP Z420 16GB RAM
Quadro K4000
ST10 MP12 on Windows 10 Pro 64.

Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

Thank you. That was impossible to figure out using the help. I will give all of that a try when I'm given a chance.

I need every last function to have a shot at properly re-using a project.