Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Revision Manager - associated drafts within an assembly

Solution Partner Valued Contributor Solution Partner Valued Contributor
Solution Partner Valued Contributor

How much steps to perform a simple action: copy an entire assembly and associated files to a new location! This doesn't make sense.

SW has Pack&Go. We need something similar INSIDE Solid Edge, not in Revision Manager, where we have to take lots of steps if we want to take the draft files associated with the assembly.

This is something that SW users ask us when we show them SE...

Genius
Genius

It does not exist in SE but... (except the RM)

look here

From Tushar Suradkar http://www.surfandcode.in/2014/11/making-of-pacedge-part-01.html

From Hitteam http://www.hitteam.de/SETools.html and also payed version http://www.hitteam.de/activePack2Go.html.

Just to name a few of them.

And okay you are right it should be available in SE.

And like I said a few years ago revision manager is old school technology and should be replaced by on screen RM. simply hit a part/asm on the screen and do a rename or copy.

And yes it stays the same if we do so but it does look a lot better then it does now. A first step could be the integration of RM in the pathfinder window. A simple click and rename....

That's what I like !

Dirk Rutten

Solid Edge ST6 user !!!!

Yes Dirk, you are right.

I was aware of Tushar's PacEdge (but not the Hitteam one), but my point is that we should not have to say that you need to install a third party addin to do it. As you said, it doesn't make sense it is not included in SE directly. And RM looks like a 90s app! It has an oudated look and feel and it's not intuitive. All the actions we do in RM could be done directly inside SE.

Genius
Genius

So I'm not the only one who's thinking this way ? Man Very Happy

So many people here do have or did have so many brilliant ideas...

but in the end they all die in the dessert with nothing as a matter of speaking.

I do not want to start another complaining...

Dirk Rutten

Solid Edge ST6 user !!!!

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Cadflow,

If I remember correctly, Solidworks uses a Windows shell extension of some type.  The user could actually be in Windows Explorer and right click on each individual file and "rename in Solidworks".  Right?

This seemed very easy and straight forward to me, but I don't have very large assemblies.

Matt

Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

I gave up trying to "copy" entire assemblies. I manage SE in what I will call draft units. Each draft file is used for an assembly and group of assembly driven parts. Yes I have static parts that are not like this, but most of my work is.

Most of my project consist of 4 to 20 re-sizable assemblies (Plane control/ordered). I copy each one group then re-assembly the group when I want to re-use a project.

This is not the best work flow, but the benefits of the re-sizable draft units is worth that price that I should not have to pay.

But we should not have to find these workarounds and alternate workflows for such basic tasks like find all the files related to an assembly and copy them, for instance. I mean, if we have users like Tushar that were able to program something like PacEdge, why Siemens doesn't develop an integrated solution or hire Tushar to do it for them?! It makes no sense at all.

Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

Being able to make a brick is not the same as installing a brick of 30 different colors at the top of 100 different buildings. There is management and infrastructure and requirements they have to go through. Easier stated than completed. If the 3rd party version is not compatable with some language, OS, or other common software, a product does not fail as a result.

Agree, but if a single person outside Siemens can do a working version, if done inside Siemens, will all the available resources, I believe it would be very fast to make it available inside Solid Edge, in all localized versions. It's a question of priorities. For instance, we don't have a single customer that uses Solid Edge on a Surface Pro. But we have many that would use this funcionality of "Pack & Go". And it's not even comparable the amount of resources needed for each.

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

@Cadflow wrote:

How much steps to perform a simple action: copy an entire assembly and associated files to a new location! This doesn't make sense.

SW has Pack&Go. We need something similar INSIDE Solid Edge, not in Revision Manager, where we have to take lots of steps if we want to take the draft files associated with the assembly.

This is something that SW users ask us when we show them SE...

I've flipped back and forth being a SW or SE user over the years. Each system has good things the other doesn't. But when it came to file and link management I found SW lacking and couldn't believe they didn't have something as powerful as RevMan. SW Explorer was horrible IMO. Pack and Go is fine if you want a simple copy of your stuff to send somewhere. RevMan does that pretty easily too IMO. However, if you're using a database like Insight or Teamcenter Pack and Go didn't serve well at all. Typically in a database you can't have duplicate file names. SW Explorer didn't have the capability to do global find and replace for names nor did it have global path replacement nor the text find/replace functionality of RevMan. Maybe it has improved markedly as it has been about 5 years since I used SW.

RevMan may be dated but it has a lot of power. I understand that it takes a while to master. And I would welcome something more user friendly. I just wouldn't use the SW I remember as a yardstick for criticism.

Bruce Shand
SE2019 MP4 - Insight - Win10 - K4200