Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Revision Manager - associated drafts within an assembly

Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

If there was a single function added for "Clone project" that duplicates the folder structure of the files

AND at the same time, a switch embedded in each file for "Static parts" for files that are never moved or copied

Then all of my needs would be satisfied. I would be able to copy projects and not make duplicates of files that don't need to be.

I have this right now for a single draft/assembly group by un-selecting the parts that don't change (static parts). But I want that for multiple assemblies.

I believe all can actually be  done now with some very detailed learning of revision manager. The stumbling block for me is I can copy an entire draft and associated file, but not the draft files associated with the sub assemblies at the same time. If move with a seporate session, I don't know how to re-establish the links. I need all the pointers to stay in relation. Each of my draft files has many links to each assembly driven sheet metal part for bend tables.

In the big picture, managers who don't use CAD will not accept that an entire project can't be quickly copied and modiefied without missing the old project up. The CAD user then look bad because they can't do this. In turn, SE looks like bad software to the manager.

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

@12GAGE

You can do all that with RevMan. If I understand your issues the way you wrote it. And, yes, there are things you need to be careful about so you don't mess up the "copy from" job.

Bruce Shand
SE2019 MP4 - Insight - Win10 - K4200

Solution Partner Valued Contributor Solution Partner Valued Contributor
Solution Partner Valued Contributor

Don't get me wrong: RM is very powerful, but it's not user friendly and has the same look & feel for ages. It needs a facelift. And it still doesn't do one of the most basic functions in a simple way: copy the entire structure of an assembly (asm files, parts, drafts, subfolders, etc) on to a new location. And this should be easy to do.

@Cadflow

@Cadflow wrote:

Don't get me wrong: RM is very powerful, but it's not user friendly and has the same look & feel for ages. It needs a facelift. And it still doesn't do one of the most basic functions in a simple way: copy the entire structure of an assembly (asm files, parts, drafts, subfolders, etc) on to a new location. And this should be easy to do.

I don't know what you mean by "simple way". When you have a lot of assemblies, parts, drafts, subfolders then definitionally it's not a simple problem. Or it can be very complicated depending on what you have and what you want to do. But if you wanted to move a whole assembly and attendent files and folders to a new location then that is pretty simple in my mind.

Bruce Shand

Solution Partner Valued Contributor Solution Partner Valued Contributor
Solution Partner Valued Contributor

If you want to also copy all the draft files of the assembly to a new location, you need to do a lot of steps. It should be like the other file types (asm, par or psm) but it isn't. Also, if you want to maintain the folder structure (imagine you have subfolders on your project foldes) you don't have an option to clone that structure, you have to do it manually. Just two simple things that could be done in RM that would bring a lot of productivity to our users.

@Cadflow wrote:

If you want to also copy all the draft files of the assembly to a new location, you need to do a lot of steps. It should be like the other file types (asm, par or psm) but it isn't. Also, if you want to maintain the folder structure (imagine you have subfolders on your project foldes) you don't have an option to clone that structure, you have to do it manually. Just two simple things that could be done in RM that would bring a lot of productivity to our users.

I'm not following. That's very easy if I understand you. You just need to replace the root folder.

Adding all the drafts is pretty easy too IMO. And not a lot of steps also IMO.

Bruce Shand

Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

Right now I always start with the top draft file. then it can easily pick up all the associated file. I have also learned to insert "tween" assemblies in the draft to make sure they come for the ride.

Tween assembly: I have a part file with the part number of the material. then an assembly with the part number of the finished part, that also does not display the CutX and Cut X in my parts list that only has a single slot for part number and names.

Back to RM, I even know how to get the draft files associated with sub assemblies. What I can't figure out is how to automatically re-create the folder structure. And the work associated with manually un-selecting all the static parts makes moving a typical 200 part project such a delicate process, it's not worth it compared to just moving 15 assemblies separately and re-assembling them.

I personally like using the top assembly then picking the top draft out of the list below along with others. That prevents having the same file in the top and bottom hilited which will mess up the process.

As for unselecting static parts if there's anything unique in their names or paths then it's an automatic "exclude" operation. Pretty simple

Bruce Shand

Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

I have not found the automatic "exclude" function. How do I set that up and save it?

Another question is, is it possible to re-establish connections between files if a mistake is made? Say I forgot to move a draft file associated with a sub assembly. I don't think the links can be re-established. So the process would need to be re-started. If any design work had been don't in the new copy....SOL.

I use a fundamental version of SE. I think that removes the insight functionality. Perhaps I am missing vital functions as a result.

yet another thing that make this complicated for me is I frequently have the same assembly and part names in different directories/sub assemblies because I used the same file group, at a different sizing within the same project.

@12GAGE, We've gone over this before in this thread:

You: 'Where is the "deselect hardware parts" switch. I don't want to take the time to find all 50 of them. It's cheaper to just let the parts copy and take up a bit more storage space.'

Me: You really need to reread what I said about that but see attached image.

Attachment

And Beachcomber gave a good rundown on page 4.
Bruce Shand