Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Revision Manager - associated drafts within an assembly

Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

Sorry, your right. I did not intended to make more work for anybody.

I likely need to go through the entire thread again. 

The company I work for is in process of re-naming all of the base line products making file management a nightmare. It's difficult to fill a cut that is already full (my brain).

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

@12GAGE as for forgotten drafts copy them and "edit links" from within the draft or "replace" the associated files when you copy in RevMan.

Bruce Shand
SE2019 MP4 - Insight - Win10 - K4200

@12GAGE wrote:

Sorry, your right. I did not intended to make more work for anybody.

I likely need to go through the entire thread again. 

The company I work for is in process of re-naming all of the base line products making file management a nightmare. It's difficult to fill a cut that is already full (my brain).

OK. RevMan is complicated but with current parametric modeling I'm not sure this problem will ever become "simple".

If you have any input to the process maybe your knowledge gained here (and elsewhere for that matter) can influence decisions on names and file structures.

Bruce Shand

Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

I get the select and deselect based on the generic file structure/name.

What I'm looking for is a way to set that up so that the deselected files are a saved and permanent switch.

My goal was to have a few directories already deselected when any file or group of files are opened in RM. To me that was implied by the term automatic.

Going to select file, then deselecting by path that is typed in is a manual process that will need to be repeated every time RM is used. I agree this is better than manually selecting each file, but not automatic.

Maybe they can build that hook into some future version. I don't use RevMan THAT much that I really need that capability. It might be nice to add a flag to individual files that says in effect "I'm a library part" (similar to the "hardware part" button in properties) and in RevMan a switch to not include library parts for copying but to keep links to them in the new assembly.

Bruce Shand

Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

Thanks for the discussion bshand. That's exactly the thought.

I already place all my static parts under a single directory called Parts. Location is actually a better control than a switch embedded into each file with my current setup. But I would expect more complex environments (multiple users and file systems) to desire a switch within the file like hardware. At one time I hoped that was what the hardware witch was for. Then I learned is was for display purposes in draft.

I don't do "hardware". I don't have any nuts and bolts even modled. My entire focus is sheet metal parts and enough other parts to allow for sizing sheet metal and making sale drawing.

Well, maybe more efficient would be the ability to label a folder "library" instead of parts.

Bruce Shand

Genius
Genius

Is this really true ?!

Am I reading things about the past ?

Come on guys this discussion is completely out of order.

The question should be how could we solve this in a next maintenance release !

For god sake ! I don't care how SW or Inventor or even Pro/e handles this

I have SE that's it and I'm aware for a very long time... I have the RM to do all of my copy and paste tasks in a matter of speaking.

And I love it !!!! yeah life would be a misery without it. But I also work occasionally with inventor and I did some first steps in SW.

And yes you're correct it's hell for sure. But does this mean we have to wait until SW implement it first? I don't think so.

And SE is innovative in some areas but why is it so difficult to transfer the knowledge they already have to the actual SE modeling window or pathfinder window for that sake.

I know there are a few company's around the globe that did quite a bit in this area, but it's still not finished.

But from what I read here it's going to take a looooong time before SE actually implement it.

I have been asking this since I started with solid edge 12 releases ago

Dirk Rutten

Solid Edge ST6 user !!!!

I don't know about you but I have no leverage with SE development. If you do, awesome! Frankly, I have no idea what you are talking about in half your message.

Besides that, questions were asked about the use of RevMan. Should they be ignored as "out of order"?

Bruce Shand

Genius
Genius

First ! Well I'm sorry that my English writing is not as good as yours.

My native language is dutch so if you prefer this just ask will you ?

What I try to say here Bruce is the following.

The complete setup/arrangement of RM is not user friendly and should be IMO integrated in the modeling window. And like CADFLOW said there are also shortcomings in RM.

If you are a newcomer to solid edge, most of you don't know how to use RM in a proper way.

And this is very understandable. Because It's not so obvious as most people think it is.

SO LEARN TO WORK WITH REVISION MANAGER FIRST BEFORE YOU START WITH SOLID EDGE MODELING.

You can find a few nice videos on youtube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-CfNjBDuFIk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ex_gsK9mBcI

But take the time to watch until the end of these videos !!!!!

And you will be able to work with RM without any problems.

I hope I cleared up some of your concerns.

Dirk Rutten

Solid Edge ST6 user !!!!