Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Revision Manager - associated drafts within an assembly

Phenom
Phenom

Just skipped thrugh the thread again and I notice a few mentions of recreating directory structure.

Rev manager WILL recreate the directory structure for you.

If the directories don't exist it will tell you and ask if you want to create them.

We often copy a whole project (several thousand parts/assemblies) onto a laptop for presentation purposes or taking off site.

Users are now familiar with our directory struture so we maintain that during the copy.

All we do is replace the server location of the project (X:\Solid Edge\) with C:\Cad_Temp\ in revsion manager. This totally recreates the directory structure, including all library parts in their respective folders.

There isn't acually much that can't be done in Revision Manager with regard to copying/renaming/moving files.

The only things for me would be a 'nested' where used, and some integration with Property Manager.

I want to find other places where the 'where used' files are used, but this has more to do with how we create our installation models and drawings. I also want to be able to see/edit properties other than Document Number and Revision.

As for integrating it into the modelling window - I'm not sure. Could be very dangerous.

Something else I've done in the past was to create a draft or assembly file and use the 'Binder' to attach models and drawings that don't appear in the top-level assembly/draft.

I also added the top-level assembly model, so that everything needed for the project could be found from one file.

By opening this file in rev manager I could copy a whole project to a new location (in one instance 30K parts and over 900 drafts), and rename everything at the same time.

HP Z420 16GB RAM
Quadro K4000
SE2019 MP5 on Windows 10 Pro 64.

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

@beachcomber,

"Something else I've done in the past was to create a draft or assembly file and use the 'Binder' to attach models and drawings that don't appear in the top-level assembly/draft."

That's a neat trick. So RevMan looks at the binder too? But wouldn't those be in the top-level assembly?

Bruce Shand
SE2019 MP5 - Insight - Win10 - K4200

Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

Not when I use both a sheet metal/part and an assembly for a single part. The assembly is inserted when it's a stock part because that does not display the cuts, and displays the part number of the finished part. The sheet metal/part file displays the gage, cuts, and the part number of the raw material if it's was anything but sheet metal (like angle).

If a cut length is displayed in the parts list, the shop will cut a new blank when there is a part already on the shelf.

My model and assembly logic is completely controlled by the parts list and the limit of one slot for part numbers.

Also, sometimes I have to have two separate sheet metal files for the same part. One for cutting, one for folding because it's impossible to have a single part that folds and displays the flat at one time without some very very long procedures.

@12GAGE, I, for one, don't know what you are referring to when you say "Not when I use both a sheet metal/part and an assembly for a single part."

Bruce Shand

Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

Say I make a model of a piece of sheet metal. I make a drawing of that part.

That drawing's part list will display things like 12 Ga, carbon steel, Cut 1= 10 Cut 2 = 3

And that drawings title block will have a part number to the finished item.

If it's some extruded shape, it would display the part number of the raw material for the Angle, pipe, tube, whatever.

On another model, that part is inserted. I don't want the same information, I just want the finished part number to display in the parts list if that is a stock coated part (very common)

Because I only have a single slot (property) to hold part numbers, and only a single slot to display part numbers in the parts list, I get that done by inserting the optional part into an assembly to both display the finished part number and not display the cut list, because the shop would cut a new flat if it did.

If I did not work that way, I would have to use more than one set of formatting for parts lists creating a nightmare when every kind of part is used.

I can't really appreciate the difficulties you are faced with since there just isn't enough info here.

However, everywhere I've worked using SE or SW multiple types of BOMs were predefined and used as dictated by the needs of the product and drawing.

It's not at all difficult to set up different BOMs.

Bruce Shand

Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

If I start creating data in the files for multiple BOM's then what do you do when you have one of each kind of part but desire a single BOM?

The way I'm set up, I can insert anything and it shows up in the BOM properly. The only cost is for parts that are created in house and stocked. in that case, I insert the part into an assembly to keep the part number sorted. Small price compared to figuring out what parts list and what format each part needs to be for it's situation.

Every drawing uses the same parts list format. To me, this is rule #2. Rule # 1 is fully defining each part before it's bolted or welded. A flat pattern and folding table are what I typically need for the first rule.

The only custom field I have is in the frame files. I added custom data I call shape to hold the extrusion data. Pipes, Angles, tube etc....

The shape is used just like sheet metal gages.

Working in this way, If the parts list displays a sheet or shape with a cut length(s), they know to cut the part. If the part does not have this, they know to go grab the part off the shelf.

I have asked this in other threads, How do you handle things like this?

I'm attaching a typical BOM from a drawing

Again, your setup may be unusual for my experience but I can't really tell without spending more time with you. If this works for you then it works.

However, now I forgot (or more likely never understood) what your problem is and/or how this explains it. What is the problem that this BOM method presents to you or in the context of the RevMan discussion?

Bruce Shand

Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

It all started with needing to move multiple files that may or may not be part of the top assembly but are needed when creating a copy of the design. My work around was to include the other files in the draft.

Maybe @beachcomber's binder method would work also.

Bruce Shand