Solved! Go to solution

Revision Manager - copy files without changing Author property

Using Revision Manager to copy files changes the 'Author' file property to the current Windows username (unlike a Windows file copy which leaves the Author unchanged).  Is there any way to avoid this when using Revision Manager?

Steve

9 REPLIES
Solution
Solution
Accepted by topic author exeeco
‎08-31-2016 04:14 AM

Re: Revision Manager - copy files without changing Author property

[ Edited ]

I think there is no way around this. It seems Rev Man regards "copy" as "new",  and Windows regards "copy" as just "copy", like using "save copy as" from SE.

It's pretty easy to change the author property though. The simplest might be to open the top assembly in SE and show "author" as one of the property columns in the "Property Manager" window and do a copy/paste or find/replace.

Another way, especially if there are many drafts involved is to use property manager on a folder instead of a file. Open Prop Man from SE with no file open or from View and Markup.

Bruce Shand
ST9 MP8 - Insight - Win10 - K4200

[ Edited ]

Thanks for the reply Bruce. It wouldn't be a big problem except I need to copy a large number of files, and we use the Author property in a call out on the draft file to show who originally created the drawing. So it's quite a big deal if it changes.

I think I'm going to check out the migration tools today to see if they can help.

Steve

Years ago when this Author property problem emerged, We created a custom Drafter property in our files to stay away from the Author issues when revising and saving.
Dale Smith
Mitsubishi Electric Power Products, Inc.
ST9 MP5 - Insight

That is good advice Dale.  We did a similar thing with the creation date - set up a custom property for it in our templates.  If only we'd done the same with the Author property...

I still haven't found a clean solution for copying a whole load of files with mixed Authors and keeping/resetting the property so it matches the original.

Steve

[ Edited ]

Have you tried my suggestions using property manager? You can quickly change a whole assembly tree. Or an entire folder. Other than that, yeah, use a different property in the future.

Bruce Shand

Hi Bruce.  Sorry I missed that part of your post - I was reading it in the email notification instead of the web page and didn't realise there was another paragraph!

Yes, it looks like your solution does work well!  I can open the original folder in property manager, select the whole Author column and copy and paste it to notepad, then open the copied folder and paste in the column to overwrite.  I need to do a bit more work where my files are scattered across different servers but I think I may be able to use Excel match things back up generate my column list for pasting.

Steve

The notepad step isn't necessary.

Bruce Shand

You're right it isn't strictly necessary, but my folders are taking so long to load in Property Manager that I'm doing other work while I'm waiting, so I'm quite likely to forget and copy something else to the clipboard, losing my starting point!

This message has been scanned for malware by Websense.

Rotork UK Limited a company incorporated in England and Wales registration number 01090344 whose registered office is at Rotork House, Brassmill Lane, Bath, BA1 3JQ.

OK. There is also a find/replace function in Prop Man.

Bruce Shand