Revision manager + Move drive

Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

Can any show or tell me how to grab multiple unrelated files (In multiple directories) at once with revision manager? My goal is to move an entire drive at one swoop with revision manager.

5 REPLIES

Re: Revision manager + Move drive

Phenom
Phenom

Look up how to use the Redefine Links assistant in the Tools tab of the View and Markup utility that you find under the ST7 folder in the Programs menu. There are also several past topics here regarding how to properly redefine links when switching drives.

-Dylan Gondyke

Community Manager Community Manager
Community Manager

It should be pointed out that unless you have edited your linkmgt.txt file (doubt you have) that simply moving the files to the new drive should not break any links to other files. The first way the system tries to find links is "same folder". The second is "relative" -- meaning in the same relative location to the assembly. So if you just move from C drive to D driver, it will find them in the same relative location.

Others might find comfort in officially changing the paths, but "absolute" is the very last way the system tries to find stuff.

Dan Staples
Director, Solid Edge Product Development

Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

I can't allow any links to ever be broken because "include" can not be fixed after the fact with ordered assembly driven sheet metal.

Back to my origional question, is it posible to grab every file on a drive at once within revision manager?

Phenom
Phenom

Back to your original question... that is done through redefine links, not revision manager. 

Remember to COPY the original files over instead of moving them, so that if something goes wrong, you can just erase the moved files and quickly try again. 

-Dylan Gondyke

Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

I guess more testing is needed on my end for my way of working. The term "redefine links" scares me because I know it's imposible to redefine an include and that is the first step of all of my models. See my thread on Perametric box.