Revision manager start with files (not file)

Before starting revision manager, how does one select more than one "top" file at the same time?

11 REPLIES

Re: Revision manager start with files (not file)

I am not sure what exactly you are trying to achieve.

However ...... If you want to open multiple files into Revision Manager I would select the files from Windows Explorer (using either Shift select or Ctrl select) and then right click and select "Open with Revision Manager"

But the question remains .... Why?

Cheers

Mark

[ Edited ]

Why:

Because I have multiple headed organisation to my files.

Draft file-assembly file1-assembly driven parts

Draft file-assembly file2-assembly driven parts

Draft file-assembly file3-assembly driven parts

Draft file-assembly file4-assembly driven parts

Draft file-General assembly, includes assembly 1,2,3,4

In this case, I need to open all 5 draft files at once within revision manager to make a copy of the entire project.

Because I have not figured out how to copy all 5 sets of files at once, right now I have to re-assemble and re-draft the general assembly to make a copy.

Now back to opening multiple files. I have yet to figure out how to select files from more than one directory at a time. Each draft file above is in a different directory because each set of assembly driven parts use some of the same part names.

Because I can't start revision manager with all of the files I would like, the quesion become how to ADD an additional new top file to whatever is currently opened in revision manager.

Many of the files have "perpetual ordered includes" that can't be repaired. So it becomes critical to maintain all of the connections (ie the config file stays current).

I guess I am missing something in your explanation, but if "General assembly, includes assembly 1,2,3,4" then you can open it in revision manager. This gives you access to all of the assemblies (1, 2, 3, & 4) under it, and hence all of the parts. From there you used the "where used" functionality in RM to get all of the related and linked draft files.

As a general rule of thumb I never open a .dft in revision manager. I always open the assembly model containing all of the sub-assemblies and parts I want and then let the system find the draft files. You just need to make certain that you allow it to look in all of the server structure where the drafts might reside.

In our structure all of my draft files live in the same folder as their model so it makes it easy for the system to find them. It automativcally looks in the folders where the models live without any additional effort.

Bob Henry
Former Manager of Engineering
Caterpillar Global Mining America LLC

Where used is not an easy thing to get started. That emty list goes away before I even want to start the command.

Can any point to me a vid that explains detailed and complex use of revision manager? Some of the part are used on all of my models so I cant let it find where used on everything. I need to be able to select portions of the model, then say where used. By the time I have highlighted what I want it to find "where used" that empty list is gone.

[ Edited ]

Are you trying to use Rev. Mgr. Assistant? If so, that might be your issue with things disappearing. I never use the assistant mainly becasue I learned how to use RM before it was introduced and prefer to have more control. Beyond that, I can't understand why you would have anything disappear anywhere at any time.

I will try to record a video over the weekend to give you some of the basics.

Bob Henry

I'm not sure what the "assistant" is. After a while missing around with revision manager, I have yet to get it to highlight files in both the top and bottom sections.

the bottom is the" where used" files that are found by using the where used command.

Back to where I started (kind of). within revision manager, how do I select more than one draft file while the rest of the files stay selected?

In both the top & bottom panes you hold the control key down while you select the little square to the left of the file you wish to select.

If you want to select all of the files in the top pane, as if you want to move everything in one shot, select the corner square to the upper, left of the top file.

Basically you select and do your changes in the top pane first. Then select all of the files in the top pane that you wish to include in the where used and then select where used from the tools menu and it will find the related draft files for everything you have selected in the top pane. 

Then you do what you need in the bottom pane.

Once top and bottom are done you perform actions and it makes it all happen.

You can copy, increment revisions, find & replace, etc.

It is tough to describe in this form and a video will be much more helpful I think. It can get tedious if you are working with just a few files within a large assembly, but it is quite simple if you are copying an entire model and associated drawings to a new location.

Bob Henry

My problem is trying to get where used to work for a handfull of specific files at once. Say I open the top assembly in revision manager. I want to then get all of the draft files associated with all the asseblies. Then I want to unselect everything that is static.

My problem is, I cant figure out how to use "where used" on more than one file at a time while also un-selecting all of my static files.

Apologies, but I could not find time over the weekend to make a video for you.

Whatever you want to run Where Used on must be selected in the top pane. If you expand all so you can see all files in the top pane and then select the block/cube to the left of each file while holding down the control key you can select multiple files and run where used. You can hold the control key down and drag your mouse down across multiple parts to select them you can use the shift key (a la windows) to select a section that are in order.

Bob Henry