Revision manager

Phenom
Phenom

Does does one move a collection of files?

I have 5 assemblies with driven parts and draft files.

The five of these assemblies are put together in a master assembly and draft file.

How do I make a copy of the entire group, maintain all the links, and duplicate the directory structure of the files? Revision manager can group the top draft file, and grap all the parts to make the assembly. But what about the lower assembly draft files. If I move them using a seporate session of revision manager, all of the links are not maintained.

So from revision managers perspective, there are 6 top draft files. but the links are organized in more ways than a single top file can reconsile.

7 REPLIES

Re: Revision manager

Genius
Genius

What you want is daily routine for us:

1. Open the top level assy in Revision Manager
  2. Select Expand AllCapture.JPG
  3. Select all files (all lines must be marked yellow)Capture.JPG
  4. Set action to Rename
  5. Find and replace C:\CurrentFolder\ for C:\NewFolder\. This will preserve the underlying folder structure in the right half of the screen. (if you use Set Path all files will end up in a single folder).
  6. With all line still yellow, perform a Where Used to find all DFT's linked to the 3d files. The results will appear in the lower half of the screen.
  7. Click in the lower screen half to activate it
  8. Select By Type and select drafts only.
  9. Set action to Rename
  10. Again, Find and Replace C:\CurrentFolder\ for C:\NewFolder\
  11. Perform actions.

Capture.JPG

Phenom
Phenom

More than one "top file" can be open at once in revision manager? Hoes does one select 6 draft files files in six different directories to be opened at once?

The expand all feature only goes down, not up.

Attached is a PDF with an outline of the file structure.....quickly done with excel.

Now take a big step back. I want to move the entire server and maintain the links!

Genius
Genius

Most users struggle with Revision Manager, but once you know how it works it is a great tool. I strongly advise you practice on a test dataset first!

More than one "top file" can be open at once in revision manager? Hoes does one select 6 draft files files in six different directories to be opened at once?

I hope you have a limited number of top level assy's? Tie them together in SE by dragging them into a temporary .asm. Open that .asm in Revision Manager and follow the steps above.

The expand all feature only goes down, not up.

Correct, that is why you have to perform a Where Used to find the drafts in the lower half of the screen.

Now take a big step back. I want to move the entire server and maintain the links!

This is an entirely different but surprisingly simple task. Simply move all files to your new server with Windows Explorer. Do not change the folder structure though! Then open Revision Manager/Tools/Redefine Links. Use it to Find and Replace \\OldServername\Drawings for \\NewServername\Drawings in your entire new folder structure within minutes.

Phenom
Phenom

There are two combinations of links.

1 From each Assembly to each "assembly draft file" (each includes assembly driven parts)

2 From the master draft...master assembly.....indevidual assemblies.

I'm working with over 100 top assemblies right now. I add about 2 a day. I hope to increase this to about 10 a day.

The problem is each sub assembly has two different masters. It's own draft file AND the draft file of the master assembly.

Most of time my is spent setting up links between assembly and draft file. (very very long story why, but it's all for back gages and stick outs of sheet metal).

It sounds like there is not a way to get it done. Either I have to maintain structure (what I'm trying to change when I move), or I have to lose the relation from Master to sub assemblies. My path of least resistance is to re-create the top assemblies as far as I can tell.

Genius
Genius

It sounds like there is not a way to get it done.

I cannot tell you what to do, but I suggest you practice with RevMan a little more. I'm positive it is the tool to get the job done. Maybe I don't understand fully what your trying to achieve (always difficult without having the actual data at hand). Maybe someone else here can chime in?

Legend
Legend

Open the top level asembly in Revision Manager. That contains all of the individual sheet metal files and sub-assemblies, correct? So the entire 3D package is listed in RM.

Select all files and select copy. Then find and replace to change their name/location or whatever you want to do with them.

Then, while they are all selected, use the "where used" tool and filter it to find draft files only. RM will find every draft file linked to every assembly and sheet metal file listed and selected in RM. All of these draft files will be listed in the bottom pane once they are found. 

Select the draft files and copy/rename whatever you need to do. 

At this point you perform actions and all models and drafts with all links intact shold move to your new location with new name or whatever.

I don't know how you have your draft files located in relation to the model files. We always keep our draft files in the same folder as the model files that drive them. If you don't do this, then when you run the where used process you need to be sure you are searching the correct locations. By default RM will look in the folders where the models live.

**After looking at your PDF again, it appears that the master assembly does not include the other sub-assemblies? I am not clear on that. Are the assemblies only joined at the master draft level? What is in the master assembly-does it contain assembly1, 2, etc.?  If the only relationship between the assemblies is the master draft, then you will need to open the master draft in RM to get everything in the top pane. It gets a little trickier when running where used, because you will not want to have the master draft and assembly selected in the top pane when you run the where used. 

I agree with the previous poster. RM is not easy to learn, but once you get the hang of it, it will do about anything you want.

Bob Henry
Former Manager of Engineering
Caterpillar Global Mining America LLC

Phenom
Phenom

The "Where used" feature is what I was missing. I believe I have it. Once I found out that you can't just highlight rows of data in the lower window, you I needed to right click and set the action for the "where used files" and highlight files the top window pane. Then I can actually copy the entire group.

Thanks all for the help.