Rotate an object perpendicular to another in Draft

One common need I have when working in Draft to create 2D geometry is to rotate a rectangle perpendicular to a line.

Sounds like it should be simple enough with the IntelliSketch options turned on, but for some reason it isn't possible. Try this, draw a simple rectangle then draw a line on an angle near it. Now select the rectangle and try to rotate it so it's longest side is perpendicular to that line.  No IntelliSketch options show up to snap to perpendicular.

Any idea why this is, and is there a quick way to do this? I need to do it a lot...

11 REPLIES

Re: Rotate an object perpendicular to another in Draft

Hi @Tim_W,

Seems to work fine here.....do you also get the extensions to indicate the intersection point to rotate from?

(view in My Videos)

Sean Cresswell
Design Manager Streetscape Limited
Solid Edge ST10 [MP0] Classic [x2 seats]
Windows 10

Thanks for the reply!

The long side of the rectangle in the video is parallel to the line, I need to rotate it perpendicular to the line. When rotating, there are no perpendicular snaps.

[ Edited ]

Oh, OK....yes, that case also works.

Are all of your Intellisketch options checked on?...in particular, the "Horizontal or Vertical" one.

(view in My Videos)

Sean Cresswell
Windows 10

Hi,

Yes, all options are on.  I made a short clip showing what I'm trying to do.

[ Edited ]

Hi @Tim_W,

Ah, so you want the long side of the rectangle to be perpendicular to your other line [helps if I read your question properly, hey? Robot Embarassed ].......so you can do that in a number of ways....here are some that come to mind first up.

1. rotate a copy of the line at the intersection point by 90 degrees to then rotate the rectangle.
  2. draw an additional line from the intersection point to perpendicular to then rotate the rectangle.
  3. rotate the rectangle in two moves, to coincident, then to 90 degrees.
Sean Cresswell
Windows 10

Hi,

That is how I have ultimatly been doing it. For some odd reason, the first version of SE I used you could rotate something and have it snap perpendicular to a line. On one of the upgrades it stopped working and I could never get an answer why they disabled that ability.

It's a clumsy workaround I have to use now in order to do this.

I don't ever recall being able to do this in rotate, like you can with geometry creation [Lines & Curves]....but, it would be a welcome enhancement.

Sean Cresswell
Windows 10

It was waaaaay back. Probably version 3. I asked tech back then why it was removed, never got a straight answer. 

[ Edited ]

"Version 3"...geez late 1996, that's some SE history alright!!!!,....my second son was born & I had not long started moved from a drafting table to playing with AutoCAD back then. I might forgive a little change from that era, given kernal change also happened back then too.....which may, or may not, have been a factor.

Sean Cresswell
Windows 10