Rotate part in assembly with unknown starting angle to be horizontal with steering wheel

Genius
Genius

Sorry if this has been answered somewhere, but I could not find anything searching.

You have a part in an assembly and it has been rotated to an unknown angle. How do you rotate it back to horizontal or vertical using just the steering wheel?

There's a million ways to do it without the steering wheel, but I want to use the steering wheel.

In effect I suppose I want the steering wheel to snap to vertical or horizontal during a rotation event, obviously after I have already aligned the steering wheel to the face/edge of the part that I want.

Angle PMI dimensions are non-driving in assembly as far as I can tell.

Thanks.

15 REPLIES

Re: Rotate part in assembly with unknown starting angle to be horizontal with steering wheel

Phenom
Phenom

Hi,

Yasser

Betreff: Rotate part in assembly with unknown starting angle to be horizontal with steering wheel

Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

Hi @pmckay

I think I have understand Your question and the solution might be very easy.

See attached video, where I have a copy of the handle, turned somehow to the lower one.

Select it, place the steering wheel at the axis AND now this is the important step AND click the blue point whit presse SHIFT button.

This allows You to orient the steering wheel in a 2D mode to have an appropriate starting position from which You now can easily rotate the handle to the wanted final position.

This video is currently being processed. Please try again in a few minutes.
(view in My Videos)

regards
Wolfgang

Betreff: Rotate part in assembly with unknown starting angle to be horizontal with steering wheel

Genius
Genius
Thanks Wolfgang. I understand what you are showing, and it is what I wanted to do, except for one thing....

In your example, to get the final position you are snapping to the lower handle (or it could be any other geometry of course).

If there is no other geometry available though, can you still do it? If there is only one part in the assembly can it be done?

Re: Rotate part in assembly with unknown starting angle to be horizontal with steering wheel

Genius
Genius
Thanks Yasser, from what I can see in your video you are doing a simple rotate in 90º increments is this right?

My problem is when a part is not orthogonal to start with, so at some random angle, and I want to rotate it so it is horizontal or vertical.

Genius
Genius
I can always draw a sketch to get some points to align to, but that is an extra step (or two or three).

Can the steering wheel snap to horizontal/vertical positions during rotation? I can't see how it does. Have I missed something?

Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

Hi @pmckay

OK, understood.

In such a case I would use the "Occurency Properties" of that part.

With them You can define the absolute position in space for any grounded component.

See picture:

20170421_1149.PNG

this was before and that one would be after changing the Z angle value

20170421_1151.PNG

For doing it with steering wheel only without any reference seems to be impossible

regards
Wolfgang

Genius
Genius
Wow, thanks Wolfgang, I had never thought of changing it that way. Brilliant lateral thinking.

It's a shame that the steering wheel can't do this though by snapping to vertical or horizontal positions. I would find that very useful. It would be useful in PART too, but there are a few other ways to achieve it with the steering wheel in that environment, such as using some sketch geometry.

Appreciate your replies,

Peter.

Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

Using planer align or mate with a floating offset may be what you are looking for.

Genius
Genius
Thank 12Gage, there's no problem doing what I want to do using your suggested method of many others, but I wanted to know if the steering wheel could do it. It seems it can't.

I think having the steering wheel snap to certain points during a rotation event would be very useful.

Peter.