Rotate parts before placement from Parts Library

Creator
Creator

In the past I could rotate parts before placing them into the assembly window, by using the little preview window below, middle-click and drag.

Now, with ST6-MP5, this does not work anymore with newly saved parts (old parts still behave fine, they break however when re-saving them), this preview box shows only the static part preview bitmap that you can save using the file properties dialog. 

Anybody know how to get the old functionality back?

6 REPLIES

RMB in the parts library, then select preview, Now assure...

Solution Partner Legend Solution Partner Legend
Solution Partner Legend

RMB in the parts library,

then select preview,

Now assure your setting is checked "ON" and also "Interactive"

Matt Johnson
Application Engineer
Ally PLM Solutions
matt.johnson@allyplm.com
http://allyplm.com/

Re: RMB in the parts library, then select preview, Now assure...

Creator
Creator
Dear Matt,
sorry, but this does not work.
For the old (not re-saved) parts this works correctly, showing either 'bitmap' or interactive previews.

For all new parts, it shows only the bitmap preview, independent of the setting.

Solution Partner Legend Solution Partner Legend
Solution Partner Legend
is it possible to test the same workflow on a different PC or on this PC with a different user log in? It'd be helpful to know if this is a file specific issue or a user profile issue.

Matt Johnson
Application Engineer
Ally PLM Solutions
matt.johnson@allyplm.com
http://allyplm.com/

Creator
Creator
Dear Matt,
I tested it on a different PC, same issues now.

I provide here a small part that shows the issues:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/o02mue6xfhm97ur/separts-brokenpreview.zip
Its two versions of the same part, one has just been re-saved in ST6-MP5 without any other modifications.
If you look at them in the parts library, one is stuck to the bitmap preview.

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom
I see the preview rotate issue on my system with your "broken" part but as soon as I re-save your "broken" part in ST6 MP5 the preview rotate then works again as expected.

Try resetting your Solid Edge user preferences using the following instructions:

For any of the paths shown as an environment variable you can cut and paste this path into the Windows Explorer address bar and it will resolve the %% environment variable automatically for you i.e. %APPDATA%\Unigraphics Solutions -> C:\Users\<user id>\AppData\Roaming\Unigraphics Solutions.

1. If you are running a managed solution e.g. SEEC, Insight, SESP, launch Solid Edge. If not running a managed solution skip to step #4.

2. Open the Cache Assistant.

3. Clear the content of your cache – check in and delete files as necessary.

4. Exit Solid Edge.

5. Run "regedit" [or your registry editing tool of choice].

6. Inside the registry delete the "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Unigraphics Solutions" key and everything under it. WARNING: do NOT delete "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Unigraphics Solutions".

7. Exit "regedit".

8. In "Windows Explorer" browse to %APPDATA%. If you cannot see this folder you will need to change your Windows Explorer "Folder Options" to show hidden and system files and folders.

9. Delete the "%APPDATA%\Unigraphics Solutions" folder and everything underneath it.

10. The user's Solid Edge settings have been reset and cleared.

Creator
Creator
Dear Dave,
resetting SE fixed it.
It's a little bit sad though, because clearly parts have been saved corrupted, and file integrity should not depend on user settings.