Rotating part body with steering wheel

I have an imported part that has imported at odd angles and offset to the base co-ord system.

When I convert I always bring it in as synchronous.

I can move the body easily enough, but rotating around 3 axes seems impossible.

I have tried creating a new co-ord system aon the body inserting part copy into a new part file and using the new co-ord system for attachment but it only lists the base co-ord. There seems to be a bug there, unless I'm missing something.

My next option is to put the part into an assembly, alight it correctly then create a new part from that (by export/import again).

This is a fairly roundabout way of acheiving something that should be so simple - rotate by 3 points. Doe anyone know if/how this can be done.

HP Z420 16GB RAM
Quadro K4000
ST7 MP10 on Windows 7 Pro 64.
5 REPLIES

Re: Rotating part body with steering wheel

Maybe you have created the new coordinate system in teh ordered side ?

I found much easyer to move it in asm and then reimport

Tried ordered and sync.

No other co-ord systems show other than the base system.

Can someone confirm that this is the case in later MP's ?

We are on MP7.

HP Z420 16GB RAM
Quadro K4000

Would repositioning the steering wheel make it easier? If you double-click the origin of the steering wheel with the Shift key down, the steering wheel will be oriented the same as the base coordinate system. If you hold down the Shift key while locating over the ball at the end of one of the axes, you will see one of the axes highlight in addition to the ball - clicking the ball will then rotate the steering wheel around that axis. It would take a couple of steps, but you could probably use a combination of those methods to get the body rotated with respect to the base coordinate system.

Greg

This just seems to rotate the steering wheel.

The problem for me is that the rotation always seems to require an angle input.

You can't rotate point to point.

HP Z420 16GB RAM
Quadro K4000

Hi,

You can!

First Xou have to orient the steering wheel msin axis to Your starting point, and then You can rotate it directly to the end point You like.

regards
Wolfgang