Solved! Go to solution

Round sheet metal

Hello all,

I'm wondering how to best model a sheet metal barrel. my problem is where to start?

Do I create a piece of sheet metal then revolve it?

Do I create an extrusion then convert to sheet metal?

Where durring the process do I add beads and hems? 

If I want to create a profile for a revolve that includes beads and hems, does thoes bend radius become adjusted by the sheet metal settings durring the conversion somwhere?

My goal is to be able to apply the bead and hem commands to a cylinder.

No path appears to give me access to the bead and hem commands and allow me to end up with a cylinder.

12 REPLIES
Solution
Solution
Accepted by topic author 12GAGE
‎08-26-2015 04:32 AM

Re: Round sheet metal

[ Edited ]

For ordered: Use contour flange and draw an arc. Leave a small gap so the ends don't connect. You may need to play with it a bit to see how small of a gap will work. For cylinder I set my neutral factor to .50.

Pick a side for thickness to drive to (depending if you drew inside or outside) and extrude for length. From there I am not sure about hems and beads.

HTH get you started.

Bob Henry

Bob Henry
Former Manager of Engineering
Caterpillar Global Mining America LLC

Hi,

First, You have to use Ordered mode.

This video can be useful:

Could you post a picture about your challange?

BR,

Imics
http://solidedgest.wordpress.com/

I do it as Bob has indicated [I typically use a circle to drive the gap, which needs setting suitable to the material thickness, so as not to converge at the internal tips].....as for hems & beads, I don't use them,...I use contour flange to create the overlap condition seen.

Sean Cresswell
Design Manager Streetscape Limited
Solid Edge ST10 [MP0] Classic [x2 seats]
Windows 10

I'm trying to make a proper barrel. Like typical 30 and 55 gallon drums. In my case I'm trying to make a 125# grease bucket. They are all the same design with different dimensions.

Attached is a file that includes the profile I want to revolve. When it's time tp pick the axis, I can't pick the axis!.

In this case I forced the issue by using the bevel and hem tools in the flat. Used that to create the profile, then try to revolve. No luck this direction.

Ah I see....what you're trying to do is not strictly a "Sheet Metal" environment model.....but more a "Part" model.

Whereby, sectional sketch profile [this I copied from your model] as you have, then revolve about an axis.

Sean Cresswell
Windows 10

What did you do to allow selection of the axis? When I open my posted file, I then start the revolved command, select the profile, right click to enter, the program is waiting for an axis, but I am not able to select a sketched axis. What am I missing?

Did you remove the sheet metal part by moving an "un-linked" profile to a new file?

I was hoping to make all steps "live" like being able to edit the hem or bevel at the same time being able to edit the sheet metal thickness or diamiter.

This way, one file can be used for about 6 different barrel configurations.

12GAGE wrote:

What did you do to allow selection of the axis? When I open my posted file, I then start the revolved command, select the profile, right click to enter, the program is waiting for an axis, but I am not able to select a sketched axis. What am I missing?

You selection filter should be on "Select from Sketch".....then you'll be able to use it.

Sean Cresswell
Windows 10