Rule Stream running Solid Edge Drawings

I am looking for training material for Rule Stream running Solid Edge Drawings.

I can make a dft file in Solid Edge and bring it in to Rule Stream but as the part changes size the

dimensions are not changing.

Thanks

Rulestream ETO Version 8.12.0.7556
Solid Edge ST7
9 REPLIES

Re: Rule Stream running Solid Edge Drawings

I'll see what I can do about getting you some documentation regarding the use of Drawings through the Solid Edge integrations, but in the meantime . . .

• What version of Rulestream are you using?
  • Are you using Model Views, created in the 3D file, and then referencing these views in the drawing template?

If you get a moment please provide the steps you're going through to setup this scenario.

Thanks,

- Tony

Solid Edge ST7
Solid Edge ST7

Thanks for confirming versions.

In general, Rulestream is used to drive the parameters of CAD geometry  This means that some geometry needs to exist first.  These are the geonmetry template files that are scanned into Rulestream and then manipulated via use of Rulestream Proeprties.

In the Solid Edge integration with Rulestream dimensions are modified much the same way.  The dimension needs to already exist in the template, but not just anywhere.  Under the PMI tab you need to create Model Views of your 3D geometry, adding PMI dimensions and annotations as desired.

When creating the template drawing file you place these Model Views onto the drawing.  Now whenever the rules modify the 3D Geometry the corresponding model views on the drawing update as well, including the dimensions.

In the case where you're creating an assembly and need dimensions across multiple parts, you apply the same concept, but use reference geometry (I.e. sketch geometry) to setup the Model Views and then place PMI dimensions against this geometry (ex. plane to plane).  When you use Rulestream to place components into the assembly you make sure that the reference geometry gets placed where needed.  As the assembly is modified via rules the reference geometry will update along with the associated PMI dimensions and be properly reflected in the drawing.

We have some customers that are doing this on a regular basis who could provide much more practical information than I ever could.  We may want to consider moving your question over to the Rulestream Community to see about getting them involved. 

We made some updates to this process recently.  The version of RS you're running contains these updates.

If you rather have me hook you up directly with a customer using this process please let me know and I'll see what I can do.  I will need your full name, company and contact information to pass along.

TonyB
I tried several times useing the PMI tab but my dimensions are still not changeable. If you could give me a contact that has experience with this that would be great. Let me know where to send you my information.
JohnAsp
Solid Edge ST7

Hi John,

I'm sorry to read that this isn't working for you yet.

Please email your information to me at anthony.boucher@siemens.com

I'll work as quickly as I can to get someone in touch with you.

- Tony

I use planes to control geometry.

Have you tried controlling plane locations w/ rule stream?. Then using the planes to drive the sketches? OR if using sync, I think the planes have to tied direct to the surfaces.

John has let me know that he's gotten this working and will be posting an update to this Forum shortly.

I did get the drawing to work and it changes dimensions as the part changes size in Rulestream. Earlier I was trying to put the .dft up in the root of the design with the assembly. I changed where I added the dft to down in the subparts where the .par is. Also I used the 'Distance Between' command with the 'By 2 Points'.

So at this point I am able to get the individual parts dimensioned, soon I will need to get the whole assembly drawing working. Thanks again for all of your help.

John

Solid Edge ST7

To Tony's point about PMI dimensions, they are only required for geometry which might be suppressed or unsuppressed. If you have geometry that will always be there (length, width of a part) you can use dimensions in draft.

The reason you need PMI dimensions and model views is for the cases when you have a feature that might be suppressed and then unsuppressed later. Once you suppress a feature that had draft dimensions attached, the draft dimensions become detached and will not correctly reattach once the feature is unsuppressed in another iteration or revision of the file.

We are very familiar with this if you ever have questions.

-Carl Breving

S&C Electric Company