8 REPLIES

Re: SE ORDER TUTORIALS?

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

PLM World Member Legend PLM World Member Legend
PLM World Member Legend
Thanks
These were mostly sync, maybe 1 order. we have another rout to go for now. what happen to all the old ORDER tutorials?

Phenom
Phenom

Chapter 7 of the training covers a majority of the Ordered features in the exercises.

PLM World Member Legend PLM World Member Legend
PLM World Member Legend
don't want to sound stupid but, where is chapter 7??? from help - Tutorials? then what?

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

He was referring to the Fundamentals Training which is classroom training content found under the "Printable Course Books" section of Help: http://support.industrysoftware.automation.siemens.com/training/se/107/en_US/index.html#uid:index

And I agree that there is not much on this and we still need more thorough training content for ordered.

Thanks,
Ken

Production: ST9 MP10
Testing: ST10 MP3

Phenom
Phenom

Thanks Ken. Yes that is what I was refering too.

I'm on the fence right now on the need for more ordered training materials. Here's why.

If you are implementing a change in processes, I feel that you need to slowly take away the old process support materials and focus more on the new process support materials. Which, I feel, Siemens is attempting to do in this example. They want you to design faster and better. ST does that quite well.

To design faster and better you need to implement a different thought process to the "traditional" ordered design process. I think we can all agree to that.

New User perspective:

If SE is your first CAD system then I say the materials is spot on.

Salty Dog User perspective:

If you are coming from other software packages I'd say that most users can pickup and run with the ordered mode. After all the core functions of ordered modeling haven't changed in what 15+ years? Blends, chamfers, sketches, construction planes, axis, extrude, bolleans, etc are generated in the same fashion across all systems. There should be now surprises for users in those areas.

If you want to learn about ST, you will start your learning path from the ordered perspective and move to ST.

I'll get off my soapbox now.

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

I'm all for using new tools if those tools can provide benefit to your processes.  The issue with starving folks for Ordered training is that there are a lot of things that can be done in Ordered that absolutely cannot be done in Synch, and therefor Synch can't even begin to be a solution in those situations.

In our established design and documentation process we use associative tool bodies for creation of our parts to guarantee consistency, speed revision's, and provide traceability ("where used"), and this can only be done with an associative Part Copy which is NOT supported in Synch.  So the question is, how do we train new users in Ordered when there is no Ordered training and we can't switch to Synch because it does not yet adequately support our process?

Thanks,
Ken

Production: ST9 MP10
Testing: ST10 MP3

Phenom
Phenom

Ken,

I can't, nor should I debate your company needs. But I will agree that more ordered training should be available.

Now, you are aware of my past relationships with different VARs for SE. Siemens has a different relationship with the SE VARs than they do with NX VARs. The difference is with how training and training materials are delivered. Siemens provides basic materials for SE and, from my experience, all other materials for SE are developed and delivered by the VARs. For other products, Siemens has a completely staffed group of trainers, training facilities and training materials. VARs can purchase their material and train from them or, like SE, develop their own and pocket all the money.

I would ask is Siemens PLM relying on the channel, VARs, to develop and deliver the ordered and advanced training materials?

Where does the ownership fall?