Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SE Speed Issues related to server

Phenom
Phenom

Hi All,

I am looking for answers regarding to out SE speed issues.

We are using Windows infrastructure to save/load/backup our files on the local server.

We have created multiple folders where we storing our files on the server.

Our CAD stations have standalone SE software installed which connecting to the server for any files.We not storing our files locally.

What we noticed is that when we trying to save a large PDF file ( 150Mb or higher ) the saving time is relatively quick.

But when we trying to save a SE file (part/sheet metal/assembly) we have to wait much, much longer - sometimes 10 times longer.

My question is: Do we have to set up our server diferently or it is SE standard behaviour ?

Can you please suggest the best solution to speed up SE ?

thank you,

Arek

Production: SE ST10 MP8
;
14 REPLIES

Re: SE Speed Issues related to server

Phenom
Phenom

I'm not 100% on what you're asking, but are you comparing saving (i.e. copying) a large file to a network server (PDF in this case) with saving an assembly in SE?

In SE, saving an assembly is not just copying a file to a share, it's checking and updating links, potentially masses too ofthe child parts and assemblies etc. so you're not comparing apples with apples.

If you manually copied a large SE file to the server it would be the same as the PDF. Try turning on the Limited Update and Limited Save options on (search help for more info) as this will increase save performance, however you'll want to understand what it's doing.

Phenom
Phenom

Hi @Alex_H

thank you for quick answer,

I understand the Assembly saving process where SE needs to cope with a lot of parts, links etc.

But what about 7Mb draft file - about 1 minute waiting ? This is strange.

Same with mating parts within large assembly - I have to wait from step to step to finish the process because SE is freezing.

Regards,

Arek

;

Phenom
Phenom

Hi,

what about this scenario : 

is it possible to save the draft file without saving the whole assembly ?

I mean if you save the drawing you can see what SE is doing in the left corner. You can see how many files SE is saving during Draft saving process.

I do not want to break the link between the file and the drawing  - I am looking for solution how to avoid waiting time for saving the drawing.

I heard about Fast Search Tool for SE, but I dont know if this could help ?

Any solutions Edgers ?

Arek

;

Phenom
Phenom

Have you got automatic translations on for PDF or DXF for example? Or are you accessing shared config files on the network? These can take some time. 

Otherwise, you can open a draft as Inactive, which doesn't load the 3D models into memory, if you only want to add Dims and notes.

Phenom
Phenom

Hi @Alex_H

Thank you for this solution.

In this case my draft is openine 4 times faster In the mode: Inactive.

But what about saving process ( not downloading )?

thank you,

Arek

;

Phenom
Phenom

I'm afraid I don't know if your save times are normally long or abnormally long - we use Teamcenter managed data which automatically creates PDFs and DXFs on save which for large, complex drafts can take several minutes.

Maybe someone else here can help?

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

@arekkulWhat is your save time to your local disk vs. the save time to the server for the same large draft file?

That would provide an important base line to know what is network/server related.

One thought is that the server may have anti-virus installed and could be scanning all SE files as they are being saved.  Your locally installed virus scanner can also be configured for the same.  You can typically exempt processes such as "edge.exe" and "desmgr.exe" as well as folder location and file types (don't forget the CFG files) which will resolve the issue if it is a virus scanner causing the slow down.

Ken
Production: ST10 MP9, Testing: SE 2019
http://Grundey.blogspot.com

Phenom
Phenom

Hi @KennyG

Thank you for your response,

We have checked the anti virus and exempted all files related to SE.

The difference between Desktop ans Server saving time are :

- large file to server - 3 minutes

- large file to desktop - 2 seconds

The file was the same in both scenarios.

Regards,

Arek

;

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

@arekkulThe next thing I can think of would be network card related.  Could be an issue with auto-negotiate for speed.  By default the NIC is set to auto-negotiate with the switch for duplex and speed settings.  If it doesn't work for some reason you can have issues.  You can try setting workstation and server NIC's to fixed settings based on what you have.  Typically Full Duplex and then what ever speed you network is rated at (100Mb, 1 Gb).

2017-08-23_8-52-59.png

Ken
Production: ST10 MP9, Testing: SE 2019
http://Grundey.blogspot.com