SE Subscription with Surface Pro or Surface Book

Just thought I'd put this Microsoft ad out there for the SE community. The SW forum area didn't care for the image and I had to redact it a bit to meet their "standards". You can guess I got my in trouble for that posting..but can't blame them too much.

Ad from Engineering.comAd from Engineering.com

5 REPLIES

Re: SE Subscription with Surface Pro or Surface Book

@RyanM,

Now there's one very COOL promotion!

Sean Cresswell
Design Manager Streetscape Limited
Solid Edge ST9 [MP8] Classic [x2 seats]
Windows 10

Yeah, I just wish SE would decouple from Mr. Softie so we don't have to be married to Office, etc.

Bruce Shand
ST9 MP8 - Insight - Win10 - K4200

I don't mind the office integration, I just wish it worked as well as it has in autocad for the last decade... Use a black background on drafts? hope you like using colored text.

[ Edited ]

For those interested in running Solid Edge ST9 on a Surface Pro 4, I found that it runs very well. That said, I'm getting rid of my Surface Pro 4 because of constant glitches - particularly if you use an external display. I bought the Surface Pro 4 with the Microsoft Dock and Dell monitor that was on Microsoft's compatibility list. Some of my issues:

1) The computer when connected to an external display will randomly not wake from sleep. This is after applying the most recent patches that were supposed to fix the problem. Not sure if this is a hardware or software issue but is a longstanding issue that you can read about on other forums.

2) The computer when connected to an external display will randomly not go to sleep. Sometimes I would leave my computer expecting it to go to sleep only to return the next morning to find the display and computer still on.

3) You have to reboot the computer every time you unplug it from the external display otherwise the display resolution of random menus on either the external monitor or Surface Pro 4 get messed up. This is a Windows issue.

4) Although Solid Edge ST9 handles the high resolution of the Surface Pro 4 display very well, other software, like AutoCAD 2017 and iTunes does not. This leads to a frustrating mess of menus that are not readable. I'm sure a lot of software will eventually catch up, but right now it is just too early - at least for a lot of the software I use. If your external monitor has a display resolution of no higher than around 109 ppi than just about all Windows software will look pretty good. The Surface Pro 4 has a display resolution of 267 ppi which is where the display scaling compatibility problems start.

These types of issues may not bother a lot of users but they really bothered me.

David McMahon
Solid Edge ST9
HP Z2 Mini, Windows 10

Bruce-

I don't see that happening. If you ever want spell checker to work you will need MS Word- BTW this was a recent complaint on the SW Forum too.

And to build API that utilizes a secondary spread sheet program would be required as well. That's a lot of work for a CAD software company to try and save less than $100 fo rits customers who aren't using MS Office.

Ryan