SE Viewer ST9 with Full ST9 on same PC

Solution Partner Phenom Solution Partner Phenom
Solution Partner Phenom

Hi Edgers,

I found a possible regression against previous releases.

Do you have SEViewer available on the same machine with full ST9? I do not and I am unable to install them together.It shows "classic" information about existing installation of SE or Viewer.

I tried silent installation but with no success. First I tried install ST9 and then Viewer silently. Then I tried istall Viewer and then ST9 silently.

Reason why I ask is that customers use SE Viewer for viewing files when all floating licenses are reserved for someone else.

Edit: Just got information from GTAC that this is now PR with priority 1.

Ota

19 REPLIES

Re: SE Viewer ST9 with Full ST9 on same PC

Phenom
Phenom

Good question my friend! I can confirm you that ST9 viewer is missing from basic installation... Smiley Sad

BR,

Imics
http://solidedgest.wordpress.com/

Solution Partner Phenom
Hi Imre,
thanks for feedback. Hope you are well Smiley Happy

Ota

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

I believe this was mentioned in the ST9 release notes that Viewer is no longer installed with Solid Edge.  I'm curious though... Will View & Markup take a license of SE, and if not, can it be used instead?

Thanks,
Ken

Production: ST9 MP10
Testing: ST10 MP1

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

I just verified and it appears that V & M does not consume a licenses, so it can be used in place of Viewer.

Thanks,
Ken

Solution Partner Phenom
Hi Ken,
I just tested licensing with V&M, but on my site V&M require license.
My scenarion is one floating ST9 license, two machines. If ST9 consumes license on first machine, V&M can not run, because of no available floating licence. If V&M is launched on first machine, full SE shows info that licensed number of users was reached.

I looked into delivered ST9 Readme.htm file and I was unable to find any mention of removing SEViewer from full product.

Ota

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

I can confirm that the Viewer was deliberately removed from the ST9 Solid Edge install.

Also, in my testing with ST9 View & Markup required a Solid Edge license.

@ota_poul2 I worked your PR and I have this issue escalated internally.  As soon as I have an update I will let you know.

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

I guess I'm not understanding the problem. Viewer is still available by installing it separately isn't it? The download we have has it in its own folder. Or does it conflict with the full SE install?

Bruce Shand
ST9 MP10 - Insight - Win10 - K4200

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom
Viewer will not install if Solid Edge is installed -- has always been this way

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

That's weird.  I tested it by renaming my node locked license file,then I verified SE wouldn't start and then started V & M  and was able to open files to view without the license...

I'm not sure where I read that the Viewer was no longer installed with SE, I couldn't find mention of it in the Release Notes or the README file... May have been in some BETA info.

Thanks,
Ken