Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SE is freezing with .asm-file; .par .asm -filetype and graphic card

Genius
Genius

Hallo all,

after working well for a while my solid edge application got into a state, that it freezes in the process of opening and visualizing any .asm. At that time I can still access the main icon upper left in the program and choose "end solid edge". But after issueing that command, the program answers "solid edge doesn't function anymore". I can then hit "close program" and it shuts down. This behaviour is found again and again. But after not using the computer for some hours, it works again for a short while ...

At the same time I can open and visualize any .par file without any problem. The different behaviour even occurs when I have one single .par put into a .asm-file. Then I still can open the .par file, while Solid Edge freezes with the .asm-file containing only this .par. So it's not due to a more complex geometry.

This occurs with any setting of the software regarding software or hardware supported display.

I have the suspicion, the graphic card might have some (heat?) problem. ( hints:  a)It worked again after some hours of inactivitv   b) the computer often hangs up after reboot at the time, when the display switches to full resolution  )

Does anybody know, if Solid Edge makes a difference in handling it graphic for .par and .asm files?

Or are there any other suggestions?

Best regards

Hans

12 REPLIES

Re: SE is freezing with .asm-file; .par .asm -filetype and graphic card

Genius
Genius
Additional information: Neither restarting Windows nor reinstlalling Solid Edge changed this behaviour.

Phenom
Phenom

I would have a look at the crashlog file of Solid Edge and at the Event Register of windows to indentify with component hangs.

Video card is the usual suspect but it could also be system memory.

You could go in Solid Edge Options and change the graphics to be software driven to exclude video card

Genius
Genius

A change in the settings to "software driven" or "hardware driven" does not make any difference. So it doesn't seem to be from the hardware acceleration. (see above)

In the windows-event-log there multiple entries from the application edge.exe.

It starts with:

"name of the erroneous application: Edge,exe, Version 109.0.0.111 Time stamp 0x57852b6c

name of the erroneous module: ntdll.dll, Version 10.0.15063.447, Time stamp 0xa329da8

Exception code 0x00000000000f775f

Id of the erroneous process: 0xac4

start time of the erroneous application: ...

path of the erroneous appication: D:\...\Edge.exe

path of the erroneous module: C:\Windows\System32\ntdll.dll

..."

Does this help?

I do not know where the where I find the Solid Edge crash log file.

In the directory "C:\Users\...\Solid Edge\Version 109"    There is no file.

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

You do not have any maintenance packs installed.  If you are a customer with maintenance please download and install the latest maintenance pack which is currently ST9 MP9.

Also, you can try reseting your Solid Edge user preferences:

1. Exit Solid Edge.
  2. Run "regedit" [or your registry editing tool of choice].
  3. Inside the registry delete the "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Unigraphics Solutions" key and everything under it. WARNING: do NOT delete "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Unigraphics Solutions".
  4. Exit "regedit".
  5. In "Windows Explorer" browse to %APPDATA%. If you cannot see this folder you will need to change your Windows Explorer "Folder Options" to show hidden and system files and folders.
  6. Delete the "%APPDATA%\Unigraphics Solutions" folder and everything underneath it.
  7. Restart Solid Edge.

Phenom
Phenom

Hans11 wrote:

Edge,exe, Version 109.0.0.111

From this message it seem that you don't have any MP installed in ST9, is it true ?

My first attemp would be to install the latest one available

Hans11 wrote:

I do not know where the where I find the Solid Edge crash log file.

In the directory "C:\Users\...\Solid Edge\Version 109"    There is no file.

Usually it is located in the temp folder called crashlogf.txt

Hans11 wrote:

path of the erroneous appication: D:\...\Edge.exe

path of the erroneous module: C:\Windows\System32\ntdll.dll

..." 

ntdll.dll it contatins functions of windows kernel so something bad must be happened 

Genius
Genius

The crashlog does not report on the freezing I experienced today.

Yesterday there was a crash that was reported in the crashlog. This log contains the message: "Exception code: 0xc0000005 (Access violation). Attempted to read at 0x0000000000000040. "

Regarding the installation of maintenance packs: Where do I get them?

They are not at the same location, where I got the installation file from, one week ago. It seems they are hidden behind an acess procedure with a webkey account. I can't remember my webkey access. The invitation file I got, is not active, telling me, it was previously used and cannot be used again. So if it is important I need to get a new access right now not knowing how.

(I do not understand, why I can't find it at the software download site and why maintenance files are hidden)

Should I expect, this maintenance file should cure my problem or is it just in general to bring my software to the latest stage?

Siemens Phenom

Are you a paying customer or are you using a free or evalaution version of Solid Edge?  Only paying customers are entitled to maintenance.

Genius
Genius

It's a student version. I do not knoww if it's entitled for maintenance.

Siemens Phenom

Unfortunately student versions are not entitled to maintenance packs.

Did you try resetting your Solid Edge preferences as I directed previously?