SE user testing to determine training need...

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

I am interested in thoughts/information on testing users to determine knowledge/training gaps from a corporate environment perspective.  I'm looking to administer something to our users (about 130) via a survey method to determine what training needs to be developed and who needs it.  If you have any thoughts or information about this, it would be great to hear from you.

Thanks,

Thanks,
Ken

Production: ST9 MP10
Testing: ST10 MP3
3 REPLIES

Re: SE user testing to determine training need...

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

A little bit difficult to add ideas to Ken.....as the needs of your company probably differ greatly from the needs of others.

Are you looking to test the user's depth of knowledge of the complete software, or the depth relevant to your business & processes....I think there is a big difference, but applaud this all the same.

Plus your knowledge is pretty high; I feel I probably need to take your test, bu for the fact that I'd score too low, even to sweep up. Robot LOL

Sean Cresswell
Design Manager Streetscape Ltd
Solid Edge ST10 [MP2] Classic [x2 seats]
Windows 10 - Quadro P2000

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

I'm looking for general Solid Edge knowledge but very comprehensive of the entire product.  Not just stuff covered in the Fundamentals class.  We use a lot of the product with a few exceptions.

And I'm not as knowledgeable as you think I am, I just fake it really well! Smiley LOL

Thanks,
Ken

Production: ST9 MP10
Testing: ST10 MP3

Phenom
Phenom

Perhaps start with one of the challenge parts from a Solid Edge University event? I think the event two years ago had a timed modelling challenge to make a bracket off a print using any combination of synch and ordered, but the calculated volume had to fall in a certain small range at the end.

I think this would be a good initial indicator of skill. Throw them a print, let them use any method they're comfortable/quick with, and sort them based on times (and maybe a peek at their history tree to make sure no grey arrows of incompetence or exclamation points of death.)

-Dylan Gondyke