Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: SE10 2D: LOST AUTOMATIC SAVING FEATURE

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

HI @bshand

@bshand  schrieb:

Once again a backup file was saved but then it went a way when I did a save on the file. I just don't see how this functionality works or is helpful.

As to what you can do about it IDK. You are just using free 2D and therefore don't have any support from a VAR or Siemens, correct?

but this is as it is intended to be.

The Autobackup (and I think this will be written down in the help files somewhere) will create a backup file in an extra folder within the given time steps as long as You work on that file AND (very important) as long as You will change anything there.

What the backup file is thought to be is, when now some strange event happens (power down, crash,etc.) then You will be aksed by SE during the next start wether YOu want to recover from that last backup file.

But if You save and close (or close only) this file normally without any crash or so, then this beackup file also will be deleted.

This is no secure storage of older versions or something like that.

You must not compare this to the backup versions as used in other systems like ProE, where there were dozens of old versions stored parallel.

Or as it is done from operating system (server)  with the possibility to recover the version from 5 hours ago.

SE backup file is build for unexpected situations and closing the software to not loose to much effort and work YOu have done for it.

I think there is a great post (think it came from @uk_dave [sorry if a remember that wrong]) about the policy behind the Autobackup of SE

regards
Wolfgang

Yeah, I can see why they might limit the files saved but then I don't see how useful this is if only one is allowed. It's not a good backup system. I think it should let you choose a limited number of backup saves, say 1 to 5. Because now if you mistakenly save the file you're working on it wipes out the backup. So you have no way to retrieve the file in the state it was in right before the save. I don't see how this is useful at all.

Bruce Shand
SE2019 MP8 - Insight - Win10 - K4200

Hi @bshand

Yes here I can agree.

Defining a number of kept file version might be a good enhancement.

regards
Wolfgang

Genius
Genius
Wolfgang and others, I'm an experienced 2D user and have been for so many years, I can't remember. I've tried the option to backup on a crash and didn't like it. So, for almost as many years, I have the settings prompt me every 5 minutes to save. This is what I'm trying to convey that has stopped working completely. I found out the hard way when my computer froze. When I reopened SE, I discovered that I had loss nearly an hour of revision work. That's what has prompted this thread. Personally, I think I need to redownload SE to fix this. But I'm hesitant to do so to quickly when an update may be about to be published. In the pass, you guys have done so around this time of year. So, this thread was hoping to get confirmation that a redownload was necessary and if I should wait until the update is published. Please advise, Ron

@ronlatour, ST10's successor, 2019, is out. It was very recently released. In my test I did get prompted so I'm not sure why you're not. I'm using ST10 currently and we haven't moved to 2019 yet.

Bruce Shand

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

Hi @uk_dave

thanks for Your effort and providing the link

regards
Wolfgang

@uk_dave, hmm, thanks for that. I actually replied to your explanation and totally forgot. I think I need a long vacation.

Bruce Shand

Genius
Genius
Bruce, I uninstalled SE10 and downloaded the new SE2019. I reset all my customizations including the SAVE option as prompt to save every 5 minutes. For the first use of this new version, I did get a prompt only one time and then it stopped. I changed to backup save which didn't work at all. I switched it back to prompt to save without success. So, I have the same problem that I initially reported with SE10. There is also something strange about this new version - an inconsistency in displaying. For example, a dimension won't change even after I reenter a different dimension. Another example. I make a JING based screen capture of customized settings. I did yesterday without a problem. Today, I tried again to save a custom color. The SE popup custom color options window appeared as expected. But when I initiated the JING capture function, the SE color option widow faded to transparent. That's never happened before. I s/d SE and reopened another file and tried again. I got the same result. So, I couldn't capture the new color setting. I'm thinking I need to remove & reinstall SE2019. Any ideas? Thanks, Ron

I don't follow what you're talking about with "Jing capturing".

But I did notice that it only prompts after 5 minutes or whatever your timing is when you select an action in SE. IOW it doesn't automatically pop up if SE is idle.

When you select back up saving do you have a file explorer window open to that folder so you can monitor it? Realize the the backup file will go away every time you do a save.

Bruce Shand