SEFlex server access outside LAN

Creator
Creator

Hello,

is it possible to have the license server running in the company and access it from outside the LAN? I have opened the 27001 port, it is accessible from outside the company network (checked with telnet), but SE will not launch (errors -96, 491 are displayed) when I start it on a computer outside the LAN.

I have one SE floating license that I would like to use no matter where I am without carrying the USB key with me, of course. 

Thanks,

Stanislaw

15 REPLIES

Betreff: SEFlex server access outside LAN

Phenom
Phenom

Hi, 

I remember that this was possible with several situations and network configs.

But to be honest, I am not sure which firewall settings there was used.

But if this is an opportunity, You can use the borrowing functionallity of Flex to take the license with You without having a network or the dongle connected.

regards
Wolfgang

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

We use a VPN client (Cisco Anyconnect) and can run our floating licenses from anywhere the users have a WiFi connection.  Would require a VPN portal connected to the company network. I believe MS also offers a free VPN client...

Thanks,
Ken

Production: ST9 MP7
Testing: ST10

Creator
Creator

Hi Wolfgand and Ken,

thanks for your quick response!

I am aware of VPN and license borrowing (or home license) solutions, forgot to mention that. 

Still, I would like to have the option to keep using SE just as I am know, but without the need stay connected to the same LAN as the license server. VPN is not really an option now. I might consider it when there will be no way around.

Regards,

Stanislaw

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Stanislaw.

WIth the text Still, I would like to have the option to keep using SE just as I am know, but without the need stay connected to the same LAN as the license server. VPN is not really an option now. I might consider it when there will be no way around. you make it confusing for me....

Can you explain a little bit more on what and how you would work in an in-house (in the office) and out-house (off premises) situation.

This could help in giving the best solution.

--------------------------------------------------

Marc Boom
marc.boom@eurotechbenelux.com
www.eurotechbenelux.com / www.quayquip.com

Creator
Creator

Dear Marc,

sorry for the confusion and thanks for your response.

I am running a small start-up, I'm based in a businees incubator facility, travel a lot and work from different places. After trying several packages, I got my first SE license and I am totally happy with it. My previous experience showed me that a floating license is very convenient to use. To bo honest, I have not checked with Siemens whether my idead of how it works is indeed true, so it's my oversight. Anyway, I just want to use SE on my laptop no matter if it's plugged into the same network as the license server or into a rstaurant's wifi or on a desktop workstation at home. VPN is a solution, but not the most convenient. I might just generate a home license or use the borrowing feature. 

But I do not understand why is access to the license server limited to the local network. If this a configurable "feature" It would be great to switch it off Smiley Happy

Kind regards,

Stanislaw

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Can you "ping" the server you have the floating licensing installed on from the internet?

Thanks,
Ken

Production: ST9 MP7
Testing: ST10

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Dear Stanislaw.

As a startup, buying the floating license can be an investment, but may pay off when you expand.

As you write, at the moment you are working alone, on your laptop, anywhere, everywhere.

In that case the answer is simple; install the license sever on you laptop. I do not know if Siemens will give you a license server file based on a composite ID.

My license server runs with a hardware dongle…

If you have to work with a hardware dongle, you can still install the license server on you laptop, only you have to make a small batch program to stop the server before adding the dingle and to start the server once inserted in the USB connection.

But, and this would be the most secure option as the license file does cost $$$; install the server on a stationary computer / server in a secure place.

Borrow a license for the period you need and you are always sure it will work. Once you run out of the license, borrow it again and you are off again.

To be honest, we have a 5 license floating system in our office, with me more or less on the road ½ of the time.

I have a borrowed license on my laptop for every time a ~6 month period. The rest of the guys do not notice and do not get bothered with it…

Marc Boom

Creator
Creator

Dear Ken and Marc,

yes, I can telnet the server on port 27001, the connection is successful. 

License borrowing is a solution but it still limits the use of SE on just one computer.

Regards,

Stanislaw

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Stanislaw

I slowly get the image what you are trying to do.

It is possible to run the FlexLM on a server, making it accessible from outside without a VPN.

However, this may breach security on the server, as you will have to forward the port. It is advised to take a rather old PC and set it as a license server in a DMZ zone.

In this way, both internal and external should be able to access the license sever if it is behind a static IP v4 or an IP v6. Both option allow for routing the license requests via a FQDN.

Have a good thought about this as it will not make it simple for startup…..

Marc Boom