Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Betreff: SEFlex server access outside LAN

Creator
Creator

Dear Marc,

It is possible to run the FlexLM on a server, making it accessible from outside without a VPN.

This is exactly the setup I would like to have. Apart from forwarding port 27001, are there any other ports that need to be forwarded?

DMZ should also be an option. I have a mini-PC that has the only duty to work as the license server.

Kind regards,

Stanislaw

Legend
Legend

Dear Stanislaw.

As far as I know, port 27001 (or any other port n# you would like and is not in use) needs to be open.
Be aware of setting the DNS / FQDN correctly, otherwise, you will not be able to find the license server once either inside the LAN or on the WAN.
To do the setup, take your time and be careful for exposing you LAN.

--------------------------------------------------
Marc Boom
marc.boom@outlook.com

Creator
Creator

Dear Marc,

ok, I am one step closer to finding a solution. For some reason, if I configure the router so that the license server is in the DMZ zone, I can start SE on a computer not on the LAN. It is peculiar that forwarding the 27001 port does not work. Maybe this is a feature of my router...

Stanislaw

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

You may have to also assign a port that is one up for the daemon as I believe it uses a different port for outbound traffic, so the VENDOR line would look like:

VENDOR selmd 27002

Ken
Production: SE 2019 MP4, Testing: SE 2020
http://Grundey.blogspot.com

Legend
Legend

Stanislaw.

Besides the comment from Ken, there is something I do not get…

You write you have configured the router to have the license server in e DMZ. Fine, makes sense.

You also write you can start Solid Edge once the computer is outside the LAN. This means all is working fine when you are outside the LAN.

However, trying to start SE inside the LAN will not work…. (as I read it).

It would be nice to know how you have set the server in the license file.

As I read it, it looks like the laptop can find the server once outside the LAN, either on IP or on FQDN.

Inside the LAN this should be configured as well. It seems your problem is to be found in this area; routing from inside to the DMZ.

Try to make a drawing for yourself, setting all DN, DNS server, IP addresses, port n# etc…

I do not know if you have access to a static IP and a DN, but this would allow for an A-record both internal and external to point to the license server.

P.S. your primary goal has been met; you can start SE without borrowing outside the LAN ;-)

--------------------------------------------------
Marc Boom
marc.boom@outlook.com

Creator
Creator

Dear Ken and Marc,

Thank you for your posts.

I suspected that SE might use more ports for communication and opend up all ports in the 27001-27100 range just to be sure that nothing remains blocked.

I have also modified the VENDOR selmd line to be:

VENDOR selmd 27002

but this did not change the behavior in any way.

Sorry for the confusion, SE now works when launched on a PC inside or outside LAN, so, as you write, my goal has been achieved. 

I only have a basic knowledge of how routers work, so it is a bit of a mystery to me why enabling DMZ solves the issue and simple port opening does not.

Cheers,

Stanislaw