SIMPLE "ST" QUESTION

Builder
Builder

I AM A NEW USER WITH SYNCHRONOUS.......HAVE BEEN DESIGNING WITH ORDERED USING PEER VARIABLES FOR SO LONG, WHY CANT AN UNLOCKED DIMENSION BE CHANGED USING PEER VARIABLES?? CURIOUS MORE THAN ANYTHING. IM SURE THERES A REASON

16 REPLIES

Re: SIMPLE "ST" QUESTION

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

@n8nelson2003,

Was this not the case pre-ST?

Bruce Shand
ST9 MP8 - Insight - Win10 - K4200

Builder
Builder

PRE ST THERE WAS NO ST RIGHT LOL

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Ahem...I meant this part: "WHY CANT AN UNLOCKED DIMENSION BE CHANGED USING PEER VARIABLES??"

Bruce Shand

Nate,

Thats just the way Sync works...  driven vs driving logic.

Unlocked variables are driven, not driving and as such can not be driven by another variable.

this is true even in the part itself, not just via peer variable.

An unlocked, driven, variable can not be used in a variable equation...

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

I see. But that is a limitation it seems to me. What if you want to drive a third variable which is dependent itself on a driven variable? I know, I know, that's just the way it works. But it isn't a sync issue really. It applies in ordered as well.

So my question was did it apply in ordered before ST? I used pre-ST SE (a lot) but didn't use variables enough to remember.

Bruce Shand

Builder
Builder

Thanks Matt, although i read your response I do not "FULLY" understand. Sometimes it will allow me to change it in peer variables and sometimes not.

Although I can design in ordered mode while using zero brain capacity its much SLOWER/aggrivating - I find synch MUCH faster and much more intuitive i just have alot of question marks pop-up from my in-experience.

-Thanks for all feedback

Nate

nate,

it depends on if the unlocked dimension CAN drive.

See attached images

In the 1st image.  the width of the cut out CAN be changed as a driven dimension becasue it will not violate anythign else that is driving or based on a live rule.

2015-07-22_1528.png

in the 2nd image  the width of the cut out CAN NOT be changed becasue the driving width dimension is already restricted by the driving overall width and the distance from the roght edge to the left odge of the cut out...

2015-07-22_1529.png

I hope you can see how some driven dims can drive but only as they are not in conflict with other driving dims or other relationships.

folow up questions or concerns?

Nate, (  @n8nelson2003 )

Just a word of encuragement.

Stick with it... Synchronous.

It DOES take some time to understand and to "look" at your model differently.

But as you start to "see" how the modle is working based on live rules and what not, it's actually behaving much more like youe (mine at least) minds eye would choose to drive the model.

We were so used to sketch based constrainst and sketch tricks of construction geomenty.

Stick with sync for a bit,  make soem very simple test blocks with cut out...  find faces that dont move and figure out why...  once you get the hange of this it's most effinatly the way to go.

I  (and my currently employer, 6 seats of SE) design 95% is Sync.

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

? The width of the cut can still be changed in one direction.

Bruce Shand