SLOT CALLOUT ERROR ON MIRRORED PART

Legend
Legend

I have a part which is a part copy/mirror of another part. I use a callout which gives the dimensions of obround slots showing the length and width of the slots. Everything goes normally when making the print for the original part. But on the mirror, those callouts have an incorrect length for both sizes of slots. See attached video.

Anybody else came across this? Is this maybe a one time fluke thing, or is this common with part copy mirrors?

(view in My Videos)

ST9
Windows 7 Professional
Nvidia K2200 & Intel Xeon
"You're doing it wrong"
6 REPLIES

Re: SLOT CALLOUT ERROR ON MIRRORED PART

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

I get the same problem with my test:

MirSlotCallout.JPG

Bruce Shand
ST9 MP8 - Insight - Win10 - K4200

Legend
Legend

Well then I guess it's time to file a P.R. with GTAC. Thanks @bshand

ST9
Windows 7 Professional
"You're doing it wrong"

Legend
Legend

Well, unfortunately my webkey is locked as it seems the guy in charge of purchasing thought he needed it and instead of inquiring what the password was, he seems to have tried to reset my password or something like that so now I cannot get logged in to file this issue with GTAC. So if there's anybody out there who has free time and feels like it, this issue needs to be logged.

ST9
Windows 7 Professional
"You're doing it wrong"

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

I'll do it.

Edit: IR 7912328.

Bruce Shand

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

FYI, there's another problem with slots. In synchronous only.

When you pattern a slot callouts only work with the master slot. Not with the patterned slot(s).

This is so in the model and draft.

IR coming up.

Bruce Shand

Genius
Genius
FWIW, I had a problem with mirroring a swept cutout in the part environment, ordered, ST9MP6. when trying to mirror the feature SE would produce a senseless result. I tried several ways about it. Changing the sketches and which direction I went about it, no matter how I did it the mirrored feature was wrong. I sent an online IR and uploaded model, received a quick and very informative reply with a solution attached.

Below is the response from GTAC, sounds like they will be revisiting the mirror functions and how it creates features. I could be out to lunch, but it might correct the feature data that the draft pulls, even though the geometry is correct.

Quote:
When creating complicated swept features, as you know you must create supporting geometry (sketches, curves, profiles).
When you go to mirror the swept cutout the supporting geometry is not included, so it doesn’t always know how to mirror properly.
Fortunately, this limitation will be addressed in ST10. Until it is released (later this summer) you will need to work around the issue…

Please click on the above link to download the updated part.
I used the Mirror Copy Part command, chain selection, to select the faces of the cutout and mirror them, followed by a Boolean subtract.

Or, you could also simply cut the part in-half and mirror the body.

Let me know if you have any questions or comments.

Those who know me question the assigned user rank.