SMAP 3D PDM

Creator
Creator

Our company is investigating PDM options and recently the SMAP 3D PDM product came to my attention.  A couple of things I like about the interface (seen via online videos) are as follows:

1. The wizards that direct users through a Change Control workflow

2. The GUI appears to be fairly intuitive.  

I have no information on how competitively priced the product is yet, or on the level of administrative support that will be required (i.e. full time administrator, lots/little support from vendor required).  We are not interested in hiring a full time CAD administrator for this responsibility, but would most likely assign one of our designers, and/or IT staff to take care of the necessary administrative tasks, such as creating workflows, assigning user rights, etc..

I can find no references to this product being used within GTAC, however the company is a certified Siemens partners as far as I can tell.

Any first hand reports on PDM experience with this product would be welcome.

Regards,

Matt

ST8

8 REPLIES

Re: SMAP 3D PDM

Community Manager Community Manager
Community Manager

How many SE seats do you have?

Dan Staples
Director, Solid Edge Product Development

Creator
Creator

We have 25 seats of SE of which 20 seats are used by design engineers with the remaining seats being used by downstream applications.  This seat count will probably increase to 25 design engineers over the next year or two.

Regards,

Matthew

Community Manager Community Manager
Community Manager
So have you already looked at Teamcenter Rapid Start and rejected it for some reason? I would say that is what the majority of Solid Edge 25+ seat users use. (And it was REALLY improved in ST9).
Dan Staples
Director, Solid Edge Product Development

PLM World Member Phenom PLM World Member Phenom
PLM World Member Phenom

Does TC Rapid Start still require complete understanding of the TEM and BMIDE in order to install Teamcenter and configure it?

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

@swertel if you want to do any of the work and tweaking for yourself, then honestly, yes TCRS still requires TEM and BMIDE knowledge.

PLM World Member Phenom PLM World Member Phenom
PLM World Member Phenom

Thanks, @uk_dave, that's what I figured. Smiley Sad

Creator
Creator

Dan,

Yes we did take a look at Teamcenter Rapid Start and there are a couple of reasons we have been focusing elsewhere.  

One of our requirements is that the API is open for our programming needs...this would be mainly to connect to our ERP, but we also would like to be able to customize various aspects of the product.  

We don't have very complex ECX workflows, and are not interested in having a full time administrator for PDM, the expectation being we can have a senior designer/PDM Admin look after permissions and workflows as needed along with the assistance of internal IT staff.  From heresay, my impression of TC was that it would eat up significant internal resources and very well could be a costly program to maintain in the event Seimens technical support is required for customization.  

Finally, the upfront costs of TCRS were 2 to 3 times some other PDM only products...several of which are Voyager Partners.

Our company also did an install of the TC Express product some years back and this did not go well.  I know there were issues with this NRFM software, but all the same it left a bad taste.  

I initially took a look at the Solid Edge SP product and was impressed with this, however as you know the user limitations take this out of the running.  My personal thoughts are that this would have been a great replacement for the TC Express product presuming the user limitation could be bumped up.  I know that TC can do a lot, but we are mainly interested in document vaulting, introducing a couple of basic engineering workflows, and connecting to our ERP.

Thanks for your reply.

Matt

Hi Matt,

One tip that I can give is to rigorously test integration with SE.
Do not just rely on demonstrations.

In a previous work I had, a "less expensive solution than Teamcenter" was demonstrated (demo only) and choosen by managing team.
We only found issue when implementation begins:
- Part Copy were not properly managed
- Viewer was not working (viewable were not generated)
- Problems with FOP and FOA
- From the Open dialog box, it was not possible to select which version or revision we want to open
- Was not able to manage BOM in PDM and transfer back changes to CAD.
- No possibility to search for file properties while in open dialog box or insert component dialog box.

- Problem with electronic signature of drawings.

You really need to think of what you need now (short term) but also plan for what will be required mid term and long term.
This will really help you in your decision.

Dont forget ...

The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.

My 2 cents ...

Regards,

Michel