Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ST10 Build-In-DataManagement

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

Hi Edgers,

I think, I already know the answer to this question more or less, but I want to ask You for confirmation.

With ST9 and BiDM the opportunity was introduced to force the revision number to be in the part name when saving it the first time.

For example Name-Info#Rev.par

Please do not mix this up with the option to have the document number and the revision number used  as file name.

In ST10 - for me - it seems that, if I want the revision be part of the name, only the full automatic method of document number and Revision number is possible.

But not with a free name before the revision number.

Is this right?

Or have a missed something?

PS.: is there any option to have more properties in the new light Common Property Dialog of BiDM?

regards
Wolfgang
17 REPLIES

Re: ST10 Build-In-DataManagement

Experimenter
Experimenter

I Just installed ST10 and allso found out that they droped this option!

In ST9 there was an option under file naming rules named:

Use Document Number and Revision ID + Enforce Unique Document Numbers

For some strange reson it's seems as it is not an option any more.

This is very bad as it breakes the way I'm used to work in SE.

Sadly I allready made some file save under ST10 so gooing back to ST9 is not an option Smiley Sad

I've loged this with my reseller (Wolfgang please allso do this)

I hope they will send an urgent update for this.

Zohar

Siemens Genius Siemens Genius
Siemens Genius

Thats correct. "Append RevID" option in eliminated from ST10 biDM options. Its now simplified to a checkbox "Automatically name files via Document Number and Revision".

- Deselect/Uncheck this option to provide user input as a file name.Neverthless, while creating new revision, Revise command would automatically append RevID to the filename to avoid duplicates.

- Select/Check this option to enforce file uniqueness via Document Number and Revision Number.

Regards,

Deepak 

Experimenter
Experimenter

Deepak,

The effect of "Automatically name files via Document Number and Revision" is totally different from the effect of ST9 "Use Document Number and Revision ID".

I'm using my own file naming convention, so for each file I select the working folder and file name.

In ST9 I had a normal browser save window with the "file name" field grayed out. I had to type in data in Document number, Title and Revision ID (which had "A" set as default) from these and the file name format the file name field was automatically entered.

In ST10 if I select the "Automatically name files via Document Number and Revision" I no longer have a normal save window. You need more clicks to select my working folder and its impossible to see what files are in this folder.

If "Automatically name files via Document Number and Revision" is deselected, I have my normal browser window but I must manually make sure the vales in file name correspond with the values in Document Number & Revision Number (which don’t have A as a default).

I'm not used for features and working modes being dropped from SE…

Zohar

Siemens Genius
Hello Zohar,
Thanks for your input.

Solid Edge ST10 (Built in Data Management) shows Common Property Dialog (CPD) instead of old Windows Save As dialog while selecting the option “Automatically name files via Document Number and Revision”, This has its own advantage to help users to deal with multiple files that windows save dialog could not support. However, this should not hamper your old way of working (except showing files in the folder).
1. You should be able to continue to key in your own values in Document Number or Title field.(like you were doing in a textbox in ST9)
2. Revision value would be auto populated in the field (Same as ST9).
3. The file name should be auto populated based on provided document number and revision. (same as ST9)
4. One additional click on Browse button (in the ribbon) or double clicking in the location cell would show the windows dialog that supports (same as ST9) -
A. Favorite locations (Pinned locations)
B. Recently used location
C. You could use indexing for quickly searching folder (same way you were doing in ST9)
5. Apart from this CPD would add below advantages over old windows dialog -
A. Just one click on “Assign All” command to auto generate Document Number, Instead of the manual key in Document number. This would help us to avoid duplicates.
B. CPD would identify associated drawings of the CAD file and automatically assigns the same document number. It also takes care of multiple drafts, and would automatically add -01,-02 in the filename to avoid duplicates or file overwrite issue.
C. CPD could deal with multiple files and you could generate multiple files in one go with assigning unique document number to each file (For example populating FOPs or multi-bodies with unique document number would be possible in one go)
D. CPD would help to provide a unified experience with any command that creates new file in Solid Edge (for ex. Save As, Revise, Populate FOP, Divide Part, Create Interference part, Save Model as, Save Simplified model...etc.)
F. In a longer run, it would give better control to show/hide columns, change the column sequence as they need. CPD would remember these changes and use next time.

Regards,
Deepak

Hi @Deepak_Kulkarni

but the only and main difference here is that You MUST use the document number for the filename, if You want to use the automatism.

There is no way to define the name own Your own but force the additional revision number as subfix to the filename, as it was with ST9

Many users have used that mechanism.

And this was my original quesstion, wether this new behaviour is as it is, or if I have missed some info about that.

Common Property Dialog is not bad, no it is godd, but question also is, can I add another property to be asked in CPD too?

Besides Document NUmber, Revision and Title

regards
Wolfgang

Experimenter
Experimenter

Deepak,

I will try to work with this CPD (I don't have many options...) and give it a try.

My naming standard is "12-AB-34"

12= main project code

AA= sub assembly code

34= running number

I use this naming because I'm used to it and I can know what's the part purpose just from knowing the first two parts of is name.

Not having the list of the files in the working folder makes it hard to me to select the value of "34". I think that I will need explorer window beside the CPD window Smiley Sad

I see the good of CPD in situations like family of parts, but this is done very rarely. But Save is done all the time.

So PLEASE give us the option to select if we wish to use CPD or the old way of saving we had in ST9.

Zohar

Siemens Genius
Right now Common Properties Dialog shows limited sets of columns but we are working on it to support custom properties in future.

Hi @Deepak_Kulkarni

thanks for that info and for the hope that future releases will be able to deal with.

You talk about "Custom Properties", but what is with other standard properties like subject, comment, etc.

Will those be available for CPD at the moment?

regards
Wolfgang

Siemens Genius
@hawcad
"....
You talk about "Custom Properties", but what is with other standard properties like subject, comment, etc. Will those be available for CPD at the moment?"
Answer: Yes