Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: ST10 Build-In-DataManagement

Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

The feature I have been looking for is variables & file names used to make part numbers.

So specifically: Document number = Test string +Assembly name + Part name + Revision level

Then if the Assembly gets renamed, so do all the parts.

Some parts it would be really nice to use: Document number = Text string + a cut length

This can already be done with an exported variable used to create flat pattern names. That feature is called document name formula. But Document name formula is not available to display in draft or used to drive part names and or numbers.

I wand a feature like document name formula to drive part numbers from any mixture of variables.

Just a bit of better veriable flow would go a long way to help numbering parts and keep track of model files.

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

Hi @Deepak_Kulkarni

can You please give me a short hint where to define those additional properties for CP?

Thanks

regards
Wolfgang

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

Hi @12GAGE

but the advantage of the new BiDM is, that there is no further need  for looking at the filename.

You can use all properties for searching etc. without knowing the real filename.

You also will show properties in the pathfinder (that's what the Document Formula really is) rather than the filename.

So my advise for the future would be: "Don't care about filenames, use Properties!"

regards
Wolfgang

Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

It's not something I need, it's something I want.

I want to drive part numbers of multiple assembly driven parts from the assembly name.

that way when I copy & rename the assembly (and it's draft and parts), I also get new part names without any work.

So yes I would use properites, driven by the file name.

Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

Custom properties you make up as you go. 

I use two of them: Shape and L

L = cut lengh of anything, created by adding a PMI exposed as "L" or renaming the extrusion lenth to L

Then L is formatted to show up in the parts list

I use Shape to hold descriptions of shpe used within the frame tool. Example: Angle 2" x 2" X 1/4" CS

I have both Gage or Shape show up as my second column in the part lists after item number.

Fast Search has demonstrated to be not robust enough to be used as unique search-tool. In case of failure of the fast-search you will not able to retrieve nothing from your file system....

Siemens Genius Siemens Genius
Siemens Genius

@hawcad - We are currently working on this feature. Its not there yet in the product.

Regards,

Deepak

Solution Partner Valued Contributor Solution Partner Valued Contributor
Solution Partner Valued Contributor

@Deepak_Kulkarni - Will the additional properties and custom properties within the CPD be released as a part of an ST10 MP or in ST11?