Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ST10 New Locate Background Feature

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

I was testing the new locate background feature in ST10 to position my bill of materials and noticed that the snap position appears to be zoom sensitive. Has anyone else noticed this?

(view in My Videos)

David McMahon
Solid Edge ST10, MP5
HP Z2 Mini, Windows 10
8 REPLIES

Re: ST10 New Locate Background Feature

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

Yes, seeing that too.  It isn't precise like it should be.  If you place it zoomed out and then zoom in, it's obvious it is not on the keypoint selected.

Ken
Production: ST10 MP7, Testing: SE 2019
http://Grundey.blogspot.com

Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

The best way I have found to locate background linework is place a circle at 0,0 in the background.

Draw a circle anywhere, then the origin of it can be edited to 0,0 in the paper space (using a term from Autodesk). Now you have a 0,0 point to snap the rest of the border linework too.

@12GAGE, He's talking about sheet entities snapping to background entities.

Bruce Shand
ST10 MP7 - Insight - Win10 - K4200

Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

Isnt the problem getting things into the "background" pages located?

If not, please define background

edit...watched the vid. It's just about placing tables in the draft. I gave up trying to use alignment edits or snapped tables/annotaion long ago. I just manually place it.

In ST9 and previous there is no way to snap things like parts lists, which exist on the working sheet, to the format, which exists in the background. So you have to do it by eye. And apparently that's really what you still have to do even with this new snapping capability.

Bruce Shand
ST10 MP7 - Insight - Win10 - K4200

Hi @David_McMahon

I think this is not a real error, but more a matter of view.

If You turn on the "Display as Printed" option, You will see, that everything You see here is in the inner area of the line thickness on paper, so it IMHO doesn't matter anyway.

See video:

This video is currently being processed. Please try again in a few minutes.
(view in My Videos)

And doing it with an object on foreground, it is exactly the same, so it has nothing to do with backround or foreground, it seems to be a matter of tables.

regards
Wolfgang

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Wolfgang,

Thanks for the reply. I never tried snapping to a foreground object. You are correct, I see the same behavior. It does seem to be specific to table snaps and zoom dependent. If I snap other drafts entities such as lines and circles to background objects, it seems to work fine.  I really notice it if I have to export the file to AutoCAD (see below).  I can always use the position table by location option which locates the table accurately. It's not a show stopper, I just think the snap behavior for tables is a bit sloppy.

solid edge_snap.jpg

David McMahon
Solid Edge ST10, MP5
HP Z2 Mini, Windows 10

Hi @David_McMahon

Yes I think You are right.

I suppose this could have to do with the border width of a tbale or something from these settings, a table has.

regards
Wolfgang