Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ST10 Testing & Fast Search

Phenom
Phenom

We are hoping to upgrade to ST10 from ST7 in the near future and want to make use of the Fast Search function.

Unfortunately our server is a non-windows NAS drive so can't be indexed.

We would like to get a new server but the people who hold the purse strings want to have the cost justified.

The advantages of fast serach are difficult to quantify, so I am trying to run some timing comparisons between ST7 Rev manager where used and ST10 fast search where used.

I have done this by setting up identical folders on a couple of PC's and comparing the two operations.

I have something like 2 - 3 minutes in ST7 and <1s in ST10.

Now I want to compare over a much larger data set, so I have copied all of our cad data (130GB) to a new SSD disk on one of the PC's.

If I run a where used on a model on that PC and searching all folders I get results of a few seconds with ST10.

Doing the same search (from another PC) in ST7 takes approx 1h 15min.

I now want to try an ST10 search from another PC, but can't get it to work.

When I select 'where used' the search location has a red folder symbol.

Where have I gone wrong, because I could do the fast search from a remote PC on the small data set which was on the c-drive. Now I have data on a different drive it doesn't work.

HP Z420 16GB RAM
Quadro K4000
ST10 MP6 on Windows 10 Pro 64.
12 REPLIES

Re: ST10 Testing & Fast Search

Legend
Legend

In my opinion, from ST9, nobody knows how to fix this issue. We get updates that say it is resolved, we come back and say it still doesn't work, and then nobody talks about it anymore.

Oh, that was a little rough, wasn't it...........

EDIT: for me to get it to work, I have to pick a higher level folder that isn't red. I've asked on here how to get that red folder changed, but nothing has come of it.

Re: ST10 Testing & Fast Search

Gears Phenom Gears Phenom
Gears Phenom

have you set the locations and indexed via the SE Options?

See Video provided by AllyPLM:  https://youtu.be/R-UrGQOj2Yc?t=1141

===================================================
Matt Johnson
Solid Edge Certified Professional (ST7 & ST8)
Solid Edge ST9 (SEEC) - Production
NX11 (Tc Integration) Pre-Production Testing
Teamcenter 10.1.7

Betreff: ST10 Testing & Fast Search

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

Hi @beachcomber

how have You connected Yourself to th PC drive from remote?

Using a drive (s:\path) or a UNC path (\\pcname\path)?

As far as I know indexing only is supported if using UNC.

regards
Wolfgang

Phenom
Phenom

Sorry for delay in replying but our internet connection has been down for most of the day.

@Johnson_BigMatt -

Lets say PC1 has the data, PC2 is where I'm searching from.

Both have ST10 installed (is this the problem - should I just install the fast search utility?)

On PC1 the drive is indexed and fast search works if I run Design Manager on that PC.

On PC2 I can connect to PC1 and see all the data.

PC2 is configured with the 'vault' location pointing to the data on PC1.

@hawcad  - I have tried both ways - mapped drive and UNC path. I get the same result.

I will have another try next week - I don't work Friday's any more (its too much now at my age Smiley Very Happy)

HP Z420 16GB RAM
Quadro K4000

Is PC1 a server OS or a desktop OS?  I can't find any info on this, but it could be possible that the MS Search service on a non-server OS may not provide the federated index to another desktop client.

Ken
Production: ST10 MP9, Testing: SE 2019
http://Grundey.blogspot.com

Phenom
Phenom

@KennyG

Both are desktop OS and I have ST10 installed on both.

I'm certain I had this working last week before the new drive was installed on PC1, but I could be mistaken.

I will check back through my notes of previous timing tests to see if I have any results on that.

Thanks to all for your contributions.

HP Z420 16GB RAM
Quadro K4000

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

Just reaffirming  the statement by @KennyG, to the best of my knowledge there is no way to share the Search index database from a Windows client to another client.  It requires Windows Server to be able to share the index.

IIRC, you can index the files stored on PC1 by adding the shared folder to PC2 and selecting "Make available offline" but all this is doing is copying all the shared files from PC1 to PC2 and then using the indexing on PC2 to find the files shared from PC1 -- which is not the same thing you want nor a viable solution for large CAD file storage.

Phenom
Phenom

@uk_dave

Thanks for that confirmation.

To be honest, the difference  between using fast search and not is so massive it can't all be down to local/network differences.

Do you or anyone else have any feel for how much difference fast search makes - is it 10x faster, 100x or what.

HP Z420 16GB RAM
Quadro K4000

Hi @beachcomber

You can answer this question by Yourself for simple tests.

Take for example the "Where Used" question.

If You ask this with the common old method (non indexed) even the simpliest search within one single directory takes a couple of seconds, maybe longer.

Where the result is shown nearly instantly with the FastSerach option on.

And not only the "Where Used" but also the direct connection to a draft file from the 3D document without any extra task and search. There IMHO will be no comparison to the old way.

Not to speak about any revisions YOu are doing afterwards.

Any draft automatically is revised together with the 3D document, without any extra task and work to do.

If You now look onto the real work of searching, I only can speak about my expiriances from the last year (ST9 and ST10 where I personally prefer the ST10 way much more).

Searching from explorer and/or Solid Edge Open Dialog is a lot aster than before.

A feeling not a hard fact is that for me it seems at least 20 times faster.

What anotehr good effect is, is the capability to save search task in the open dialog.

So searches for recurrent task like standard parts, vendor parts etc. are done instantly and without any additional typing of search strings and search pathes.

This is something what is worth to speak about additionally.

The real enhancement and the hard fact value of faster search must be defined with real performance or better to say search tests on same hardware, but the soft factor IMHO and for me is enormously.

regards
Wolfgang