Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ST10 file downloads okay. It is not executable. Windows 7 can't open it.

Experimenter
Experimenter
6 REPLIES

Re: ST10 file downloads okay. It is not executable. Windows 7 can't open it.

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

Please provide more detail.

Where are you downloading this from?  Was this part of the Feee 2D signup program?  If so, I only tested this two days ago and it was working without issue.

What file is not executable that Windows 7 cannot open?

Experimenter
Experimenter

I am downloading this from the Siemens website - https://www.plm.automation.siemens.com/plmapp/education/solid-edge/en_us/free-software/free-2d-cad

Maybe, I am not aware of a Free 2D signup program.  Since you had success, please provide the web address if different from above.

Here is info regarding the file that is not executable:

Additional info:  Windows 7 Ultimate.  The downloaded file is named Solid_Edge_Free2D_ST10.  File type is "File."  Size = 2,704,695 KB.  (On my slow DSL internet connection, it took almost two hours for this file to download.)  When I click on this file, a window pops up "Open File."  Asks, "Do you want to open this file?"  The file is identified as an "Unknown File Type."  When I click on the "Open" button, a new window opens called "Open with."  "Choose the program you want to use to open this file."  What do I do?

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

Hi there @Thumbless,

If your download file is incomplete [usual reason it will not work], due to an interrupted download, often occurs on slower connection speeds......then there is only one course of action, that is, to retry.

I would recommend using a download manager for your browser, to over come these issues....I use the "Chrono" download manager for Google Chrome, and it performs very well.

Once you have the *.exe file, right click on it and choose "Run as Administrator"......then wait for it to automatically unpack the installer, and then follow the prompts.

Sean Cresswell
Design Manager Streetscape Ltd
Solid Edge 2019 [MP3] Classic [x3 Seats - Cloud Enabled]
Windows 10 - Quadro P2000

HI @Thumbless

as already mentioned by @SeanCresswell I would check wether the file os OK.

If this only is a single EXE file, then YOu can first try to unzip it using 7zip (my favorite)

So You can see wetehr or not the file in total is correct or corrupted.

Afterwards You can run the setup from teh unzipped folder as admin.

This also has the advantage, that You have the insallation files available in a correct directory structure for further usage and You do not need to unzipp it again and again ...

regards
Wolfgang

Experimenter
Experimenter

Thank you, your suggestions worked.  I had been using IE.  Using Google Chrome, I used the download manager you suggested and downloaded the file.  Same file name, exact same file size, but it was an executable file!  Thanks again.  Soon, I'll be able to install and start using Solid Edge 2d.

@Thumbless,

Well that is good news indeed!

I have loaded the 2D only version onto almost all of our staff computers, as it is not only a brilliant 2D CAD system, it is a perfect 3D file viewer, which in itself is of huge benefit to us.

Sean Cresswell
Design Manager Streetscape Ltd
Solid Edge 2019 [MP3] Classic [x3 Seats - Cloud Enabled]
Windows 10 - Quadro P2000