Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: ST10 publicaiton!

Phenom
Phenom

@bnemec

The thing that really annoys me is when bugs appear in functions that were working fine in the previous release.

HP Z420 16GB RAM
Quadro K4000
ST10 MP12 on Windows 10 Pro 64.

Legend
Legend

@bnemec

What are you doing besides activities in this forum, there is a lot more that can be done.

Are you a beta tester for future versions

Are you member or leader of a local user user group 

Do you visit the Solid Edge universities ?

Reg.

Jan Bos

Emmen, The Netherlands

Betreff: ST10 publicaiton!

Phenom
Phenom

The plural for Universe is "Universii"

Glad to help!

Solid Edge 2019
Windows 7 Professional
Nvidia K2200 & Intel Xeon
"You're doing it wrong"

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

HI @nominus38

thanks to let me learn my daily news!

"universii" - great!

regards
Wolfgang

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

In what bastardization of the Queen's English is "universii" a word?

From the Oxford English dictionary…

Universe:

https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/universes

‘Here he describes how black holes might spawn new universes.’

Universii:

https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/search?utf8=%E2%9C%93&filter=dictionary&query=universii

'No exact matches found for "universii"'

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

Hi @uk_dave

OK, thanks also, intepreting Your avatar as to be British I believe Your explanation.

How if not You can know Your language.

So with my first notation, this even was the correct one.

great also, and thanks

regards
Wolfgang

Legend
Legend

Hi @Jan_Bos

I'm assuming that question is leading to suggesting that instead of complaining here I can participate in other forms of active and constructive feedback to Siemens as well as gain a better understanding of SE as a whole through training.  If that was the point I concur, you are right in your suggestions.  I don't know if your question was intended to be somewhat rhetorical, but it is potentially beneficial to discuss those ideas.

I do use GTAC somewhat, I don't know at what level of problem we are supposed to go to them for support.  To be frank, there are so many little quirks (not necessarily bugs) that filing an IR for each would make me feel like a nitpicker with OCD.  I did enter IRs for a couple of the crippling nuisances.   I must say that every time I have contacted GTAC either by phone or email the response is productive, professional and extremely quick.

When I run into problems I generally try online searches first, most of the time someone has already dealt with something similar that I can apply to my current situation.  I would say >90% of the useful search hits are links to the SE forums.

Beta tester: Not yet, I would not mind doing so.  There are a couple potential issues with that;

- I would need some level of IT blessing to configure dual installs of SE on this workstation.

- I would not be able to work on any models for work unless those files can be saved as previous version.  Even then I would be very leery of saving in the production files as with any Beta testing reliability is uncertain.  Because no actual productive modeling would be accomplished, I’m guessing most of the time spent in the Beta version would have to be my own time.  I do believe there are benefits to the company to have a person or two looking at pre-release versions, but it must be sold to the check signers.

Not to be all negative, I do understand that the benefits of “real world” testing are very significant as they are what produce the stable work environment I am seeking.

Local user group:  Outside the company I work for the closest thing to a local user group is this online community.  There are not local users that I can find.  Most of us in the workplace bounce ideas and questions around as our first line of help.  Accomplishing similar tasks consistently across all the users is critical in our environment.

Solid Edge Universities (Universii for some of you Smiley Wink I’m game to travel to such training events.  Again, management is accountable to both productivity and expense budget.  Training engineers is overhead cost on overhead.  Finding the balance is fortunately not my to do currently.  I have been back to using SE for just over 4 months now, so no opportunities for University yet, although others in our department have attended.

More on training: I would like to have time/opportunity to learn how to apply ST to what we do where I work, as of yet it is not used.  When they rolled out the first ST release here, ST3 I think, a trainer came in for three days.  I’m told most of the training was geared towards ST, unfortunately very little it could be translated from the canned training examples to what we do.  Given all the great comments and blogs about the magic of ST, I have to assume it’s a lack of training that is preventing us from using it.  At the end of the day to implement the change, it must be shown that the features produce a greater savings than the cost to implement, very few people here are convinced otherwise it would be ST by now.  That is just business.

Those who know me question the assigned user rank.

Legend
Legend
"bastardization of the Queen's English " LOL.
I should have put this in the "Off Topic" forum...

Since I tend to be dead brained on the language barrier I should point out, just in case, that the TGIF in the OP was referring to “Thank God It’s Friday” in case there is some other meaning in another language or culture.

Those who know me question the assigned user rank.

Phenom
Phenom

I am one of the dinosaurs who has not embraced Synchronous Technology (ST) yet, even though I sat through the update training for ST when it first came out. One of my engineers, on the other hand, loves ST and has been working exclusively with it for a few years. This is partly because the work he specializes in requires modifying models that originated in Pro E and Creo. Being able to tweak those models as though they were native Solid Edge models is extremely powerful and time saving.

All that said, I decided this past week to sit down and dig into ST myself using the eBook that Matt Lombard created. I am quite impressed thus far with th eBook and I highly recommend it. If you want to start moving toward using ST on a regular basis, get the eBook and work through it. It does a fantastic job of introducing ST, why it is better, explaining how it works, and there are tutorials and videos that you can follow along so you get some hands-on work.

Even for someone who has been using SE the old way since version 3.5 (late 1997), the eBook makes ST very understandable.

Bob Henry
REH Technical Consulting
Canonsburg, PA 15317

Genius
Genius

I think our Queen Liz would spell 'bastardisation' with an 's' not z(ed)....