Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Betreff: ST10 publicaiton!

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

We digress but...

"The ‘-ize’ forms have been in use in [British] English spelling since the 15th century: they didn’t originate in American use…"

http://blog.oxforddictionaries.com/2011/03/ize-or-ise/

Betreff: ST10 publicaiton!

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

Further digression...

Maybe the poster confused his Latin singular universum with what I believe would be universi in plural form. One "i" only though. In some "cases" anyway. Sort of like fungus and fungi directly adopted in English.

Bruce Shand
SE2019 MP5 - Insight - Win10 - K4200

Re: ST10 publicaiton!

Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

They are integrating Polygon models into Solid Edge is the main point. so that exports for 3D printing and FEA are available. 

But they have a long way to go for reverse engineering. In that case they need points to nurbs, then nurbs to polygons. I bet it will be about ST 15 before nurbs are available.

I bet they add Primatives to Polygons as the only flow to start.

Then they will add the ability to align and trace point clouds

Then they will add converstion from points to extrusions

Then they will add best fit parts to points

Then they will get into class A surfacing and best fit surfaces to points

On down the reverse engineering line of operations...100 more.

Once 8 Ghz x 8 core cpus are common (and multi threading) along w/ 32 gig vid cards, then processing point clouds can start to happen fast.

Re: ST10 publication!

Legend
Legend

@bnemec  Please do train yourself in Synchronous, take the time to learn this, it only takes a few hours to get it done, you will appreciate Solid Edge more if you master Synchronous.

Take a look at the Steering Wheel Clinic from Mark Fort

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hzcyWAiuIfE  since then the Steering Wheel and Live Rules has improved a lot.

After that pick a few more from the same author, they are wonderful.

Do not start with creating parts in Synchronous, but take a simple assembly and some parts from the training folder in Solid Edge and convert them to Synchronous and play around.

Learn a few shortcuts;

Shift – space = Selection Manager

Ctrl – space = Switch between face priority and part priority in an Assy

Shift – Click Offset steering wheel along axis

Shift – Click on the blue circle in the steering wheel to change orientation

Click- Blue Circle in the steering wheel to free drag

Just convert parts and give it a go, Use ordered  and Synchronous mixed  and start using it, and learn when making some new designs

If you master Synchronous it will make you smile once in a while… really  

Image that you have a beautiful car (SE Ordered) and you can transform it with the push of a button into a helicopter (SE Synchronous) and if needed a boat (SE Mixed use) how would you feel if you were asked to travel… no problem..  love to travel…

Solid Edge ST is the best tool around, compared to “simple” software like Solid Works and Inventor.

If it was a formula 1 race, the driver of the Solid Edge ST car would have lapped those other “cars” multiple times and was enyoying coffee and watch them finish.

Kind regards,

Jan Bos

Emmen, The Netherlands

Proud user since V3.5 and beta testing ST10Mousepad.jpgMousepad

Hi @Jan_Bos

Hi Edgers,

I think I've already mentined in another post, but there is a real good document on installation DVDV of Solid Edge.

Go to the Solid Edge subfolder an d look for the "qrc.pdf" file

This gives You - on two pages -short but good info about steering wheel and desing intend

Due to the fact that - at the moment - I only have a German DVD available, I only can show You the German veriowsn of it.

20170526_0845.PNG20170526_0846.PNG

regards
Wolfgang

Gears Phenom Gears Phenom
Gears Phenom

Hi,

do you know if the new release of SE will bring a mid-plane command ?

thanks,

Arek

Hi @arekkul

what do You expect by tis function/command?

What shall it do for You?

regards
Wolfgang

Gears Phenom Gears Phenom
Gears Phenom
Hi Wolfgang,

I am expecting to get a quick tool to create mid-plane between two elements/bodies I n Solid/modelling environment as well as in Asy env.

Solidworks has this functionality and it is working fast and well.

Now I have to measure the distance before I want to place the plane between - with mid-plane you can get it in 1-2 clicks.

regards,

Arek

Hi @arekkul

if You need this in a part model, then You can draw a 3D line between those 2 elements and use the midpoint for whatever useage and in an assembly there already is a symmetric relation for placing parts between faces

regards
Wolfgang

Legend
Legend
@Jan_Bos
I do appreciate you suggestions and will spend some lunchtimes looking at the videos you have recommended. I must be honest and point out that the mindset of “it only takes a few hours to be productive in ST” has me put off to the whole notion and part of what I find frustrating with shiny new features that tend to get in the way of getting work done. I have spent several sets of several hours working through the Sync tutorials and playing around in the example models, searching online blogs and videos. I am no farther than just that, playing around with models which is far removed from being useful in a production environment where models must be reliable and editable by over a dozen other members of the design department. Maybe it’s just my barnacle brain keeping me stuck in the dark ages of parametric modeling and causing me to fail to see the light of ST, I don’t know.
I already have too many unfinished personal goals to add another. Aside from some time on lunch breaks, I’m not inclined to invest more of my personal time into something that will be of little use to me. Unless I would have a break through and use my new found skill to lead the charge that drives our department into the ST age, ST will remain taboo at work. Also, I don’t do much modeling for personal projects. For me, SE is just a tool at work, a means to an end; I have other hobbies that I would spend my personal time on.
But that’s just me, honestly I’m a little envious to those who can jump on every new release and implement any new style of modeling without looking back. Little by little I might get the hang of ST, we’ll see.

If you cannot find a Solid Edge setting, confirm you have a file open of the type that will be affected.