ST5 maximum RAM?

Hello!

Is there any limit to what amount of RAM Solid Edge ST5 can use? I'm running it on 64 bit Windows 7, i7-3930K CPU@ 3,2GHz, 16GB of RAM and nVidia Quadro K4000. I keep on getting an error, that Solid Edge is "running low on memory" and then Solid Edge just closes itself. I had Task Manager running the last time it happened and Solid Edge was only using up about 500MB of RAM (the whole usage was 3,5GB of 16GB). Is there any limit to the amount of RAM that Solid Edge is using and can I increase it? Or is the problem related somehowe to the fact that the models that I am using are heavily linked to an Excel file?

Best wishes,
SREI

7 REPLIES

What build of ST5... 32 or 64 bit?

What build of ST5... 32 or 64 bit?

Thanks,
Ken

Production: ST9 MP7
Testing: ST10

Re: What build of ST5... 32 or 64 bit?

Version 105.00.00.102 x64

You need to use the 64bit edition of Solid Edge, not 32 b...

You need to use the 64bit edition of Solid Edge, not 32 bit. Are you an evaulation user or existing paid customer? I ask because eval is 32 bit only I believe (not too many folks do big stuff during eval) but if you are paid customer, then you can choose to load the 64 bit version from your DVD or GTAC.

Dan Staples
Director, Solid Edge Product Development

Re: What build of ST5... 32 or 64 bit?

Conceivably any x64 application can address up to 8 TB of virtual address space on an x64 version of Windows, but Windows is limited in the amount of physical memory it can see. Your commercial versions of Win 7 (Professional and higher) can utilize 192 GB of physical RAM, Home Premium only 16 GB and Home Basic only 8 GB.

Now specific to Solid Edge, I believe that warning could come for a variety of resource issues such as not enough contiguous virtual memory (unlikely if running the x64 edition on Win 7 x64), too many GDI handles (10,000 limit I believe), etc... It's not just about physical RAM.

Thanks,
Ken

Production: ST9 MP7
Testing: ST10

Re: You need to use the 64bit edition of Solid Edge, not 32 b...

I'm a paid customer and running version 105.00.00.102 x64.

Hmmm. Well the 3.5 GB is very supicious, because that is where you will crash when running 32 bit SE on a 64 bit machine. But if you are positive you have x64, then I would contact GTAC and see if they can help.
Dan Staples
Director, Solid Edge Product Development

I believe that the 3,5GB RAM usage was purely coincidental. I've asked the company's IT crew to install the newest possible Maintenance Pack available to us. I hope that will solve my problem.