ST6, ST7 crash on feature creation or modification (Integer divide by zero)

I got this problem several days ago and since I found a very similar crashlog I originally reported it here:

http://community.plm.automation.siemens.com/t5/Solid-Edge-Student-Edition-Forum/solid-edge-st7-st6-s...

Installed is a 45 day free trial ST7, but I do not believe the problem is version specific – I reproduce the crush with full version of ST6 and ST7.

Problem details:

Very reproducible crash and I always get to it after the Extrude –…-> Extent Step (ordered) is done by either keying in the number for the distance or by clicking it with the mouse. Same result after the corresponding step in the synchronous environment. I tried it with new parts as well as modifying the existing parts – the crash is always at the same step. In general I can open the existing parts files, change material and other options, save the file, rotate and orient the part, change rendering; but when I go through all the steps of the feature creation (or modification) at the very end where it should be ready to otherwise show the preview and ask for “finish” confirmation it crashes and gives me the message:

“An error has occurred … A log file has been prepared… Would you like to email the log file…”

After I select to send the email ST7 closes and nothing happens – maybe it is sent in background…

“My Rig”:

GPU:                                     GeForce GTX 780

GeForce GTX 780 (SLI)

CPU:                                     Intel® Core™ i7-4790K CPU @ 4.00GHz (4.6GHz turbo)

MOTHERBOARD:                  Asus Maximus VI Extreme

Memory:                               32.00 GB RAM Corsair Vengeance CMZ32GX3M4A1866C10

(4 x 8GB running at 1866MHz)

Current resolution:                 1920 x 1080, 60Hz

Driver version:                        347.52

Operating system:                 Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate

The rest, I believe is irrelevant, but feel free to ask me for other details if you do suspect something else. This is a very stable system – I never had it crash, freeze or reboot on me for several month now (since I put it together). I know it sounds like a cool gaming system, but I’ve been actually so busy at work lately that I have not installed a single game on it yet :-)  Solid Edge would be an important program to have on this computer and I was not expecting there would be any problem with it. Now I am trying to resolve this issue before committing to a full price license for my home computer. 

Here is the list of things I already tried and learned during my troubleshooting:

(Please read through before suggesting something I already tried)

1) First thing I tried was changing the Solid Edge Application Display settings – I would change the setting, open new part file, proceed with the extrusion creation -> crash. I exhausted all options of the Application Display settings to no avail.

2) I disabled the graphics card SLI configuration both through the driver and by physically removing the second card, then repeat procedure of part 1). No success.

3) I swapped the graphics card with my work computer that runs ST6 and/or ST7 w/o any problems. Result: my work computer worked fine with either card, while my home computer gave the same error at the same place with either card, after trying the complete procedure in part 1)

4) Finally to exclude the software conflicts – I exchanged the hard drive on my home computer for a fresh one and did a clean Windows 7 install. With not even an antivirus, but just a clean system and the video-card driver I installed temporarily borrowed from work ST6 (then ST7) only to see solid edge crush again at the same place and the same time.

My conclusion so far would be that the crash is either motherboard or CPU related. Please provide your advice on what else I can try, options/configurations to change. Is there a chance for some file access violation (wrong path or permissions) or any other option I can try? It seems that I am not the only one with this problem (see the link above). All of the above tests were done with full administrator privileges and in different compatibility modes. So far I cannot think of much else… I have access to VC++ so theoretically further debugging is possible, but so far win 7 never offered it as an option – I guess Solid Edge always catches relatively gracefully by itself. I attach the log files and dump files with my personal information erased, but can provide the originals to, say, interested software engineer with whatever other files might be of help.

Thank you,

T.

3 REPLIES

Re: ST6, ST7 crash on feature creation or modification (Integer divide by zero)

Based on the develpment recommendation do you have any type of controller like 3d Input device or some other type of external add-in connected to that system? 3D mouse or anything that you know is not also used on your work machine?

Open a part file and run SEsysinfo.exe and save to a file and post. That captures usefule hardware information. The closer you can capture that data to the state where you get the even the better.. like try with a part file open then see if you can capture again while you are use the protusion command before you do the step that causes the abort.

Is there any utility installed that is not part of the OS and not on your work machine?

Dear Llewellyn,

I understand it's been a while since the last time I addressed this issue - my 45 trial version has expired and I was not able to test anything since then for a while.

My company now bought the official license for the ST7 and with it I tried again installing it on my home computer (same computer with same specs as listed above in this thread)

This time I also had the MP11 maintenance pack installed.  The same problem, though…

First to answer your other questions:

>Based on the development recommendation do you have any type of controller like 3d Input device or >some other type of external add-in connected to that system? 3D mouse or anything that you know is >not also used on your work machine?

I have Bluetooth keyboard and mouse, but I did specifically try them on the computer where this exact installation works fine, and there was no problem.

>Is there any utility installed that is not part of the OS and not on your work machine?

I tried installing the ST7 on this computer right after the Windows 7 clean install with the only software installed being the graphics card driver (as mentioned before I also tried changing the graphics card to the one from my work computer  w/ appropriate drivers)  still had the same problem.

I uploaded most recent crashlog and the output of the SEsysInfo right before the final click for the finishing the extrude command, when it crashed(I had to zip a couple files together since the upload system did not like the file extensions).

Please, take a look at these and see if you have any other ideas why this might be happening,

Thanks,

Tim.

BTW, I also tried all the Autoconfigure.txt changes and View options proposed here:

https://community.plm.automation.siemens.com/t5/Solid-Edge-Student-Edition-Forum/Solid-Edge-Student-...

and here

https://community.plm.automation.siemens.com/t5/Solid-Edge-Student-Edition-Forum/solid-edge-st7-st6-...

I still cannot seem to make anything appear in the Graphics View Information section of the SESysInfo.log

I tried swapping the Graphics cards with my other older home computer (both ways) - ST7 seems to work on that one fine and gives fully populated Graphics View Information section for either card.

Can it be something with the Motherboard or the CPU itself (maybe Intel integrated graphics)?

Thanks,

Tim