ST6, default setting without administrator privileges

Hi.

I teach 3 ours a week (consultant) in Solid Edge at a highschool (18 years old pupils) and teachers as well.

I start the training every Friday at 14:00, and gets frustrated as usual.

Everythime, several of the pupils has messed up the UI in SE.

I think I can fix this up within the registry, but I don´t have access to this area, because I don´t have my own user profile on their school.

Is there an easy way to fix this?

ST9
Surface Pro 4
6 REPLIES

Re: ST6, default setting without administrator privileges

[ Edited ]

You will need to manually reset the individual user's Solid Edge preferences.

As the user needing to be reset, perform the following steps:

Note: Resetting a user's Solid Edge preferences will result in any user customizations, themes, Solid Edge options, etc. being reset. You may want to consider backing up the objects before performing the reset.

1. Exit Solid Edge.

2. Run 'regedit' [or your registry editing tool of choice].

3. Inside the registry delete the 'HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Unigraphics Solutions' key and everything under it. WARNING: do NOT delete 'HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Unigraphics Solutions'.

4. Exit 'regedit'.

5. In 'Windows Explorer' browse to %APPDATA%. If you cannot see this folder you will need to change your Windows Explorer Folder Options' to show hidden and system files and folders.

6. Delete the '%APPDATA%\Unigraphics Solutions' folder and everything underneath it.

The user's Solid Edge settings have been reset and cleared.

This is the manual way of resetting the user's Solid Edge preferences.  Alternatively you could automate this process using whatever method you prefer.

There is a PowerShell script currently available that has automated this process for you:

https://raw.githubusercontent.com/uk-dave/SolidEdge/master/ResetUserPreferences.ps1

Can I paste this in a .bat file?
ST9
Surface Pro 4

I got it Powershell, trying too do it now on an other computer :-)
ST9
Surface Pro 4

To make this PowerShell script easier for the end user to run you can create a desktop shortcut on the student's desktop.

When creating the shortcut, for the Target you will need to specify the following:

%SystemRoot%\system32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\powershell.exe -file "\YourFullPathToThePowerShellScript\ResetUserPreferences.ps1"

I know the problem...

The school where I teach *** they use:

http://www.faronics.com/en-uk/products/deep-freeze/

Maybe you can suggest this too?

...........................................................................................................
Solid Edge ST9 & AutoCAD 2018 user

Hi Joris,
Thank you for the tip. It seems to be the right software both for me and the schools. I will download the trial/s and check this out.
ST9
Surface Pro 4