ST6 sketching tab

First of all I am retired and not always the smartest at using a computer.  I downloaded ST6 in 2013 and tried to teach myself and failed. Yesterday I purchased an ST6 manual by Larneasy and on page 4 it shows a sketching tab, my version of ST6 does not have this and I cannot find it.  What is he solution?  Any suggestions would be welcome

Thanks

11 REPLIES

Re: ST6 sketching tab

I am not familiar with the manual you are using. Are you working on a Part, and in Ordered mode? The sketching tab should show up in Synchronous, but not in Ordered.

Jason

Hi Jason

Thanks for the quick and helpful reply. To get to synchronous mode the
manual states to go to the Sketching or Home tab. The problem is I do not
have a sketching tab in the ribbon at the top of the screen and if I click
on the Home tab a sketching tab does not appear.

On my downloaded version the following tabs are on the ribbon. Home, Tables,
View, Inspect, Tool, View. The illustration in the book shows Home,
Sketching, Surfacing, PMI, Simulation, Inspection, Tool, View.

My problem seems to be the Sketching tab

Thanks Dowd

In the "tools" tab you can choose between ordered and synchronous.

...........................................................................................................
Solid Edge ST9 & AutoCAD 2018 user

Thanks for reply.  In the Tools tab all it shows is Variables, Assistants, Environs. I cannot find what version of ST6 I am using, would this be helpful to contributiors to my problem?

Dowd

Perhaps a screenshot of what you are looking at- you seem to be missing several large chunks of the software somehow....

-Dylan Gondyke

To see which version of ST6 you are using, click the help icon in the upper right corner of SE. This opens a Solid Edge Help window. In the upper right corner of the new window, click on About Solid Edge. The about Solid Edge window shows version at the top, and lists the modules you are licensed to use.

Thanks again, Module Solid Edge 2D drafting (it states only one module)
version 106.00.02.005

Please find attached the screen as it appears when I open up the programme

Thanks

[ Edited ]

Solid Edge free 2D Drafting is not the same as full-fledged drafting in the complete software package. You will see many, many menu differences from your training material (for full-fledged ST6) to the free 2D version you have.

Your Home tab in your 2D version has most all of the groups that the Sketching tab would have in the complete software. This includes Draw, Relate, Intellisketch, Dimension, etc... You can probably still go through a majority of the drafting tutorial sections- just know you'll have to adapt when lessons use functions you don't have access to, or use commands that are in different places. 

The Command Finder at the bottom right of the software window will allow you to type in commands you are looking for, like "Circle", and hitting enter will bring up a list of possible commands related to your keyword. This will be a good tool in helping you find commands that are in different tabs from where your Tutorials will say.

This is the 2D free Ribbon bar:

This is the full-fledged Sketching Ribbon bar. Note that most everything on the sketching tab is on your Home bar instead:

-Dylan Gondyke