ST7 Maintenance Pack fail workaround

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hello all,

We're planning on upgrading all our seats of Solid Edge from ST6 MP14 to ST7 MP10. We attempted to make the jump a couple weekends ago but ran into an epic fail, and had to revert back to ST6. What happened was the install of the MP would fail, and the update would immediately stop progress with only a partial update (screen capture attached). I even did a complete cleaning of the workstation after uninstalling ST6, but it still fails. I considered trying to install an earlier MP, then upgrading that to MP10, but I didn’t have any of the others downloaded. I couldn’t access GTAC to download any because I learned our maintenance had accidentally expired.

We’ve rectified our maintenance so I now have that option available, for the next attempt. So I said all that to ask this. If the MP install for ST7 still fails, would there be any repercussions to just copying the entire “Program Files\Solid Edge ST7\” folder from another workstation that was successful?

Note: All our configuration/preferences are on the network, and all the drive mappings are identical.

Thanks for any insight you can offer,

Russ

12 REPLIES

Re: ST7 Maintenance Pack fail workaround

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Just to clarify, I'm suggesting copying of the entire installation folder AFTER the initial installation of ST7 is completed, and working.

Russ

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Just wondering: if you have maintenance why are you not going to ST8?

Bruce Shand
ST9 MP10 - Insight - Win10 - K4200

Phenom
Phenom

We had a lot of preparation to do going from ST6 to ST7.

Getting the Hole and Material tables sorted before the upgrade was quite a big job, but very worthwhile.

We also had problems after the upgrade due to having the Options.xml file on the server.

I don't know if this problem has been fixed in MP's but we still copy it to the local drive.

HP Z420 16GB RAM
Quadro K4000
ST7 MP10 on Windows 7 Pro 64.

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

We have a couple of Add-ins we use that are still not updated to ST8.  We also have a half dozen CAM software packages (no joke) that we have to wait for confirmation of compatibility.  Best we can usually do is stay about one version behind.

Russ

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Just curious, what issues did you run into with the Options.xml on the server?  Any chance there's already a thread on it?  I can tell you I was very careful to map the full UNC paths since not all the workstation have the same drive mappings.

Your absolutely right about all the preparations that had to be done before the roll-out.  I've spent more hours prepping for this upgrade than for any other version. And we've been on Solid Edge since v16.

Russ 

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

Based on the error you are seeing when installing the maintenance pack it would appear that you are running the self-extracting installer file?  Have you tried manually extracting the files from the .exe and then installing the extracted setup.exe instead?

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

We've never had problems with a server based options.xml. What problems are you referring to @beachcomber?

Bruce Shand

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

IIRC there wa s problem early on where a networked options file caused performance issues.

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

@uk_dave, OK. I think I vaguely remember having to use it locally. It was a short-lived issue in any case.

Bruce Shand