ST7 Property Manager and material

We used to be able to change the material type in  property manager in an assembly. Currently we select the different material hit ok but it defaults back to the original material. Is anyone else seeing this?

Thanks

Graham

5 REPLIES

Re: ST7 Property Manager and material

Hi Graham,

I've never used this method before, so had to add the column for material.....and probably of no consolation, but that works fine in ST8.  Robot wink

Sean Cresswell
Design Manager Streetscape Limited
Solid Edge ST10 [MP0] Classic [x2 seats]
Windows 10

You should be able to change the material in  the Physical Property Manager window.

You can also select a material for an assembly there, if you have marked it as a 'weld assy'.

I've always been able to use the Property Manager in a top level assembly to change the material specification it then drives through and updates the piece parts. For some reason this is not working in ST7. In past versions it was easy and simple to make a material change for a weldment etc. Now I have to open the individual parts to amend the material which is adding lots of time to our job.

Is there something wrong with my setup?

So, the quick work around is:  Be sure you do an activate all from the top level before running property manager.

This appears to be a write permissions issue...

If you have a part open and it has the write access and you also have an assembly open which has this part in it.

If you try to change the part's material from the assy via prop manager I do not think the assy has write access to the part file.

Whenever I have users experiance "odd" behavior esp around read/write... I always have them close all windows except the "active" one and these problems seem to resolve.  Meaning there was no problem, just a users who has so many files open they do not understand the access privlidges each has contexually.

Now, Specfically about this issue, I played with it becasue I've had this issue myself and never understood it but now have a repeatable scenario. We are running with Insight PDM so this might be unique, but I assume the concept is the same across managed and unmanaged. If a part is inactive, property manager does not seem to know that the file is released.   The released file should be greyed out and not allow you to edit the material.  If I go open IPA the part i am prompted that it is released.  When i return to Prop Manager the part is now greyed out.  Also If a part via prop manager is editable but not saving the change, simply close out of prop manager, select the part and activate it.  upon returning to prop manager you will now not that it is greyed out.

So, the quick work around is:  Be sure you do an activate all from the top level before running property manager.

Let us know what you find in this regard.

Thanks Matt I'll try that.

FYI We aren't using insight or released documents etc