ST7 System Requirements (realistic)

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

I have already read the "official" Solid Edge system requirements, but we all know those are a bit low.. Smiley Tongue

Do you guys have any recommendations regarding a new computer (laptop and stationary)? Does Dell have something usable? I don't want something that is too small when next update comes out.

What specifications are most important when buying a new computer?

, Kenneth

21 REPLIES

Re: ST7 System Requirements (realistic)

Phenom
Phenom

You'll find that your 'realistic' system requirements are tightly tied to the type of work that you do and the models/assemblies you work with on a daily basis. Up until a few months ago, I was using a Quadro FX1800 graphics card (which can be had for all of $50 these days) and was perfectly happy with it. We got into work with a new customer with complex part models, and I had to upgrade. There are many guys on here very happy with the Surface Pro 3 and other models that simply have integrated Intel HD graphics for the work that they do. The entry barrier in terms of adequate graphical processing power actually seems to have dropped from ST5 to ST7.....the new SE versions never drive my update schedule- the type of work at my company does!

Let us know what a typical part/assembly type and size will be for you. Hope this helps!

-Dylan Gondyke

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

I Agree Dylan,

We recently got 4x new dell workstations. I'm not sure of the specs but they are dedicated cad workstations, big graphics card/processor and lots of ram.

We cannot see much, (if any) performance improvement over my 5 year old setup. Albeit with a new graphics card.

We do not work on assemblies with more than about 120 parts max. Parts can be quite complex, with complex surfaces and lots of radii, which seems to affect machines the same, (new and old).

I can get the specs of the new, (and old) machines when I'm back at work tomorrow if it would help. (All of our machines are Dell)

Cheers

Glenn

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hi,

Specs of new and old machines will be great! Thanks.

We create hydraulic cylinders, including seals etc.

About 10 parts in each assembly - it's not "computer heavy" stuff.

GFX card is the most important hardware then?

, Kenneth

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Do you have model names of those Dell computers?

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

For what you are doing, any mid-range workstation wil do fine.  Might even be able to get by with a entry-level one with a 3D workstation card.

We have several hundred part assemblies (windows/doors and the machines that make them).  We are using HP Z Book 15 laptop workstations for the most part that work excellent.

• NVIDIA Quadro K1100m
  • 16GB RAM
  • 256 GB SSD

HP Z420 desktop workstations where mobility is not needed.

• NVIDIA Quadro K2200
  • 16 GB RAM
  •  500GB 7200 RPM SAT

Thanks,
Ken

Production: ST9 MP10
Testing: ST10 MP1

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
My old clunker is a Dell Precision 490, It has a recent Nvidia Quadro K2000, and 32G ram.
The latest machines are Dell Precision T3610's with an Nvidia Quadro K4000 with 8g ram.

Cheers

Phenom
Phenom

Because I do sheet metal. I'm finding a huge differance in CPU load requirements than other users. Once I have about 10 complex pieces of sheet metal, my computer starts to slow down. When I start making assemplies containing more than 50 pieces of sheet metal, I'm done....and can't add much more without load times goving over 2 min. In any large sheet metal asembly, it take me 30 seconds just to open up the gage tab.

Right now I'm using a Dell Precision T3600 w/ 32 ram and Quadro 2000.

Because sheet metal eats up the computer, im about to get the best solid edge computer I could find: This week it's a "Boxx" 4.5 Ghz w/ 32 ram and Quadro 4200 w/ raid 0 SSD's

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

12GAGE wrote:

Because I do sheet metal. I'm finding a huge differance in CPU load requirements than other users. Once I have about 10 complex pieces of sheet metal, my computer starts to slow down. When I start making assemplies containing more than 50 pieces of sheet metal, I'm done....and can't add much more without load times goving over 2 min. In any large sheet metal asembly, it take me 30 seconds just to open up the gage tab.

Hi @12GAGE 

I think there is real concern here, that a 10 part sheetmetal assembly can bring a beast like your current PC to it's knees. You may not see a huge benefit from the BOXX unit as expected.

I have what I'd call "resource hungry" perforated sheet metal parts, in a almost entirely sheet metal assembly, with around 180 parts so far, and fully constructed on my little tablet PC, the Surface Pro 3 [8GB RAM, 256GB SSD, Intel HD 5000]. I admit there are graphical lags here and there, but nothing like what you're seeing.

20715_AMPCTRL_NER [Img-01].jpg

Sean Cresswell
Design Manager Streetscape Limited
Solid Edge ST10 [MP1] Classic [x2 seats]
Windows 10

Phenom
Phenom

I agree with Sean...My sheet metal assemblies regularly peak at over 100 parts with no discernable problems- and that's with 8GB RAM, a 3.4GHz processor, and until recently, a graphics card from 2009.

-Dylan Gondyke