Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: ST7 broken after windows 10 update.

Phenom
Phenom

Windows 10 was JUST released and a long list of things are still being broken and unbroken with every Windows update. Just like any other software package, you are going to have problems to sort through if you try to stay on the bleeding edge of operating systems.

-Dylan Gondyke

Community Manager Community Manager
Community Manager

As Windows 10 has now been released, I wanted to highlight the public support statement from the ST8 readme file:

"Windows 10 is scheduled to release in late 2015 after Solid Edge ST8 is released. We will test ST8 on Windows 10 and plan to announce support of Windows 10 with Internet Explorer 11 in ST9 and in an ST8 Maintenance Pack after testing is completed and any critical issues are resolved. Solid Edge will not support the new Windows 10 browser, Microsoft Edge (codenamed Spartan)."

Solid Edge testing with released Windows 10 is underway. (Testing to date had been on pre-released builds of Windows 10.)

The Solid Edge Student Edition (free down) will be updated from ST7 to ST8 later this month.

Laura

Solid Edge Release Manager

Experimenter
Experimenter
Wait, does this mean st8 won't come out for students at all? I can understand you need a little time to offer support but it seems strange to have the solution lying on the table and don't give it.

Phenom
Phenom

The last line in Laura's response was that ST8 would become available for students later this month.

-Dylan Gondyke

Phenom
Phenom

Just a heads up. There aren't any CAD software products that are released that are supporting Windows 10 at the momemt. Like Siemens PLM, they too are past beta testing of their versions of software and will not be supporting Windows 10 until 2016 versions.

You have to understand that Windows 10 is a foundational OS change. One of the core components of previous Window versions is Explorer. This is the Windows GUI. Since Windows 10 is being built to work across many different devices MS had to introduce a new apps- Edge (Spartan) which I believe will be replacing Explorer.

With this, the software OEMs will, at some point, have to rewrite parts of the code to work and operate with Edge. This takes time and a lot of testing.

Creator
Creator
I don't think anyone can criticize a piece of software for not working 100% on day 1. The issue here is that student license holders are not given the support to correct the issue, even if the issue has already been solved. In this case, it is apparently a known fact that MP 4 or greater fixes the compatibility issue with windows 10, and although I understand that MPs are a privilege, basic compatibility with the most recent and most secure OS should not be a privilege exclusive to paid customers.

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

@cpendas wrote:
....basic compatibility with the most recent and most secure OS should not be a privilege exclusive to paid customers.

While I don't entirely disagree with you, with exception to the "most secure" part [the OS is so new, this is not known],.....I also understand that Seimens is in business to make money [as am I], and in such, will address the concerns of it's "paying customers" ahead of those on any "free" version of it's product,...as would any business, mine included.

You could always become a paying customer, and obtain the intense "support" you yearn for, by using the monthly subscription based version, available >here< [our second seat of Solid Edge is on subscription....& works well]....and then have access to any of the incremental updates, while your period of subscription is current.

Leaving the academic users stranded, would never, I believe, be an acceptable scenario for them [Seimens], and I am quite confident that if there is one, then a resolution will be put in place and announced, for re-downloading.....as this is the mode of deployment [registered download, of a single executable] for the Student Edition version of this software.

Sean Cresswell
Design Manager Streetscape Ltd
Solid Edge 2019 [MP7] Classic [x3 Seats - Cloud Enabled]
Windows 10 - Quadro P2000

Creator
Creator

- Windows 10 is officialy released and has been agresively pushed as a free update. This is the new standard.

- Do you think Seimens has a free student license as philantropy? That too is part of the money making strategy. I'm very likely to use Solid Edge professionally since I've been learning and practising with it. 

- Not supporting students is a bad strategy from a buisiness perspective. 

- I'm not asking for intense support, Im not asking for the full MP, but since Solid Edge is the ONLY program that completely broke after the update I don't think it's too much to ask for a fix. 

- A solution ALREADY exists, Im not saying they should dedicate huge resources to support not paying customers, but in my mind potential customers should have at least some value.

- "You could always become a paying customer" No I can't. Not right now. Even the cheapest plan is beyond what I can afford. 

I hope your hunch is right and Seimens does offer some kind of solution. 

Solution Partner Phenom Solution Partner Phenom
Solution Partner Phenom
In my opinion Siemens will be offering a solution by making Solid Edge ST 8 available in the short term.
Cheers
Mark Fort

Community Manager Community Manager
Community Manager

@cpendas I am personally pushing our corporate web team to update the free Solid Edge Student download from ST7 to ST8.  We were in the queue behind several large corporate web updates that completed August 1.  The web team is trying to get ST7 updated to ST8 this week. 

Hopefully later this week, you can download the free ST8 Solid Edge Student Edition on your updated Windows 10 machine and everything Solid Edge-related appears to work fine.  Please note that .net 3.5 will still need to be loaded on your Windows 10 machine prior to installing ST8. (.net 3.5 was installed for ST7, so you should be fine when you install ST8.) Right now the released version of Windows 10 is not handling the .net 3.5 install quite as gracefully as Windows 8 did (since .net 3.5 came with Windows 7).

Stay tuned...

Good luck and thanks for your loyal use of the free Solid Edge Student Edition,  We appreciate our students and our customers!!

Laura