ST7 doesn't appear for default programs

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

I'm trying to open a .IGS from within windows explorer. ST7 doesn't show up in my list of available programs. When I click browse, and navigate to and then select Edge.exe, it still doesn't show up, doesn't open with SE. If I were to click OK at that point, it just tries to open with adobe reader (I accidentally assigned .IGS files to reader in this manner.) ST7 path on my computer is C:\Program Files\Solid Edge ST7\Program (default setting).

default.jpg

7 REPLIES

Re: ST7 doesn't appear for default programs

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Hi there,

The reason it is failing, is because you need to run that through the importer....normal process is to open the file from the file browser in Solid Edge....but if you want to make a direct file link, use the right executable "seiges.exe". [check the "seiges.ini" file for the import options]

Sean Cresswell
Design Manager Streetscape Ltd
Solid Edge ST10 [MP2] Classic [x2 seats]
Windows 10 - Quadro P2000

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

This solution works. Thank you very much. I was assuming SE would invoke the importer automatically when called to open the file.

Builder
Builder

Yeah, I noticed this with ST7 and .dxf's also, I'm pretty sure previous versions would launch the import screen automatically when selecting a non-SE document.

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Keye wrote:

Yeah, I noticed this with ST7 and .dxf's also, I'm pretty sure previous versions would launch the import screen automatically when selecting a non-SE document.

Using the [edge.exe] works for me....I have my .DXF files associated to Solid Edge as the default application.....the only thing I don't like [Pet Peeve] with opening via Windows Explorer is, it forces each file open with a new instance of SE separately, regardless if SE is already running or not. Unlike when opening inside SE, you can use "Switch Windows" to flip between active documents.

Sean Cresswell
Design Manager Streetscape Ltd
Solid Edge ST10 [MP2] Classic [x2 seats]
Windows 10 - Quadro P2000

Builder
Builder

Hmmm, interesting, now it works for me too.

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

Use the regsitry script located here to force Solid Edge to open DXF files into a single instance of Solid Edge from the Windows Explorer.

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

And use the regsitry script located here to force Solid Edge to open IGES files into a single instance of Solid Edge from the Windows Explorer.