ST7 - is it slower?

Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

Hi edgers,

since upgrading to ST7 a customer claims - and it looks like so - that opening and saving SE files was getting much slower then it was before (ST5).

This on the same computers, same server, same network, etc.

We deleted all entries in registry, setting up ST7 right from the "scratch".

But when opening files from the former version (ST5) it seems to be slowed down.

There is no change after saving them with ST7.

The info is also, that new documents berfrom slower too.

Since we have not seen this behaviour so far I would like to ask

if anybody can confirm this or if You feel ST7 to act faster or at least same like ST6 or ST5

Thanks for any answers

regards

Wolfgang

regards
Wolfgang
30 REPLIES

Re: ST7 - is it slower?

Phenom
Phenom

Wolfgang, is this behavior present when opening files regardless of location?

In other words, a file on the server takes the same amount of time to open as a file on the desktop, and in both cases, the time to open is slower than ST5?

-Dylan Gondyke

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

When migrating to a newer version, opening files created in a previous version will be slower as they are internally updated from the previous version to the new version format.  So a proper test would be to save all associated files in ST7 first and then test the opening speed once they have all been converted to ST7.

There is an OpenSave macro in the Custom folder to help with this.

Thanks,
Ken

Production: ST9 MP10
Testing: ST10 MP3

Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

Hi Dylan,

yes it seems so.

There is - as usual - a difference betwenn betwork or local, this was the same in the past - but the opening and the save of files are claimed to take longer.

Also they say that the ST7 crashes 5 zo 10 times a day, where the ST5 was running without any problems and crahses.

So I think, there might be a certain "driver", hardware or somethin what could explain the problems.

What I also hae detected is, that they used a couple of user defined colors within their drafts and I suppose parts, asm too.

Altough the definition of these colors still exists, ST7 can not show them.

They must be refdefined, but there is an PR running therefore.

But could this alos have to do with that slowness?

@Ken 

Ken I am aware about the opensave, but would You like to say, that after openan dsave the files manually, it should be the same?

But this woul dbe the next I am going to let them do.

regards

and thanks

Wolfgang

regards
Wolfgang

Even with the open&save macro it's still slow.
It appears that every button needs to be redrawn in the toolbars.
It gets almost frustrating about this.

Don't get me talking about the hole feature.
-------
Daniël Schuiling
Solid Edge ST7
Teamcenter 10

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

It is definitely slower. And not just opening existing files so that excuse about having to convert older files doesn't hold water.

Merely switching windows takes seemingly forever. I can open new, empty files and switching between them lags horribly. I have made videos and have an open PR with GTAC.

Bruce Shand
ST9 MP10 - Insight - Win10 - K4200

Genius
Genius

Yes, I too seem to have some serious lag issues, doing various operations including, open/save/updateview/close/, I've also ran the open/save macro but this really made no noticable difference, Smiley Sad

Phenom
Phenom
Hi,

Where are your template files? Local or network? My experience is that this version is slower if templates are on network.

BR,
Imics
http://solidedgest.wordpress.com/

Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

Hi,

I thought I had mentioned that, but it is definitifely so (IR ist opend), that if template path shows to an different folder then default template, there is a huge performance problem.

I hav enot tested so far this issue with MP3, but as I hav esen, there is no item regarding that within the readme.txt

regards

Wolfgang

regards
Wolfgang

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Everyone who says the template location is the problem is correct. I copied the templates from their network folder and added them to all the user's local drive. Then I changed options.xml on the network so that file locations in SE would point to the local drive instead of the network for our .par, .asm, .psm, .dft templates.

That got rid of the lag but you have to wonder why edge needs to look at template files every time you switch windows on already open files.

Now if I change a template I have to update every user's pc.

Bruce Shand
ST9 MP10 - Insight - Win10 - K4200