ST8 - Folded Sheet Metal Export To Dxf Problem

Creator
Creator

Hi All, 

Im new to the community so i apologise if im asking a question that has already been addressed. 

I have a sheet metal box design that i need to flattern to 'save as flat' to create my DXF. 

The problem is that when i have flattened the folded part and created a dxf, the holes and corner radius have come out slightly disformed. For example the holes have exported at straght spline lines thus making the hole not round. 

Please can somebody suggest how to avoid this problem?

I have attached a image showing the disformed holes. 

Many thanks,

Callum 

Bristol, UK 

Callum Fisher
Manufacture & Design Engineer
Bristol, UK
10 REPLIES

Re: ST8 - Folded Sheet Metal Export To Dxf Problem

Phenom
Phenom

The first question I would ask is how was the hole in the bend area originally place?

Creator
Creator
Hi Ryan,

If i have understood your question correctly, i sketched on the face of the tab and cut through all to create the hole.

cheers
callum
Callum Fisher
Bristol, UK

Phenom
Phenom

Could just be a graphical thing in your dxf viewer - have you tried regenerating the view in it after you've zoomed in? "Regen" command in AutoCAD

Creator
Creator
Hi Alex,

Im sure its not a graphical error as i used the exported dxf in our waterjet programming software and actually cut it, because i thought the same thing. But its cuts exactly how it shows in the picture i attached.

callum
Callum Fisher
Bristol, UK

Phenom
Phenom

Are you cutting through some faces at an angle not normal (90degs) to the face? - when you do a odd cut at an angle it'll make sure the cuts are all perpendicular to the flat pattern so you might get jaggy edges.  

PLM World Member Valued Contributor PLM World Member Valued Contributor
PLM World Member Valued Contributor

I have seen exactly the same stuff with our parts. What was once a round hole in the folded state becomes square in the flat pattern (and unfortunately remains so in the draft).

I would suggest that you examine your flat pattern treatments (Big round button-Solid Edge Options- Flat Pattern Treatments. I guess that yours is still set to some rumpty default (mine was at 5mm min arc, 1mm deviational tollerance. If your cutting software deals with B-Splines, you can un check, but if your using your favourite piece of software from the late 00's then you can just wind the numbers back to get something you want. Not actually working on the floor, I can't suggest what you would use at a number, but some of the guys on the tools may chime in with their settings.

Shane

Shane Murray
ST10 MP2

Creator
Creator

Hi, 

Alex - i know what you mean, but none of my cuts are on an angle. 

Shane - i have had a play around with the flat pattern settings but it didnt change anything. (useful to know for next time though!)

I think on this one i may have to start again. It's not my model, so im unsure exactly how it was designed. 

Thanks for your input everyone!

Callum Fisher
Bristol, UK

Phenom
Phenom

@shanefarra I forgot about those settings, I think you're probably right.

@CallumFisher here's our settings FYI

flatpattern.JPG

Experimenter
Experimenter

I use this as an option,

- before cutting the hole, go to BEND Command, select UNBEND.

This will flatten entire part once you select all edges.

-  Once flattened, Sketch your hole, then cut, make sure to restrain your dia. with Smart  Dimension.

- Go back to BEND command, select rebend.

Let me know if this works.  Also, I work in ORDER Environment for sheetmetal