ST8 Revision Manager crashes

Hi,

just installed the ST8 and following problem occurs:

When trying to start either Revision Manager or View and Markup an error message occurs, that SE must be closed.

This is although there is no SE running.

This also occurs, when no file is specified.

that means Start - Programs - Solid Egde - ViewandMarkUp  = crash

Has anybody seen same behaviour?

Thanks and regards

Wolfgang

regards
Wolfgang
14 REPLIES

Re: ST8 Revision Manager crashes

[ Edited ]

@hawcad

After MANY efforts, we have reproduced this in 3 instances globally...

We know that it specific to a user's profile and may have to do with other products the user recently installed/removed.

We have found that if the user logs into the system as another user, the crash has not been reproduced.  Maybe you can try that until we know more. I would be interested in knowing if this works for you.

We have 3-4 different teams trying to get to the bottom of this issue.  We appreciate your patience as we figure it out.

Laura

SE Release Manager

Hi,

I also have this issue (IR #7418296) and my reseller was able to reproduce the problem on his machine.

My reseller is also looking in what is similar between our two setup/computer that may cause this issue.

I will be patient but just let me tell you that Solid Edge without the Revision Manager is a lot more work to do when you want to move/copy/rename ...

Regards,

Michel Corriveau

Logiag

@Michel_Corriv - Michel, yes - you were one of the reports I was referring to in my earlier post.

We are working this as a top priority.  The PLM Vis developer is currently conducting an appshare with the one Solid Edge team member in Huntsville who could also reproduce this. 

More teams in Pune, India and Huntsville are working to install/remove other sofware packages to try to reproduce this.

Hopefully logging in as a different user will work for you in the short term.

Laura

Hi Laura,

yes this behaviour is reproducable for me too.

I have seen, that if logging on as a different user, everything work sfine.

So I uninstalled SE, followed by a clean up of the computer, deleting and uninstalling any unnecessary software, cleaning the registry and the disc.

Did several reinstallations on C: followed by a try onto D:

believe that every hint and tip from the last couple of years was followed,
but it still is that with my account the RM will crash, where with any other user on the same computer it works  fine.

So for me it is clear that it must be something related to my user profile

I'm "happy"  (relativly) to here that it could reproduced otherwhere too,

and if I can test anything what would help to find out the reasons, don't hesitate to call

thanks and regards

Wolfgang

regards
Wolfgang

I would be interested to know if the troubled workstations are running both Acrobat Pro and viewer which are at different versions. I've seen similar issues on other software where running two different versions of the viewer and Acrobat where messing up user accounts on the specific workstation.  We had two users with the same problem (not SE related at all) and they switched workstations and things worked fine.

Just a wildshot in the dark.

Hi Ryan,

no, there only is the Acrobat Viewer installed on that machine.

The real crazy point here is, that log on with a different user account also solve the problem.

For me that is, that is has to do with some parameter of the user profile.

What I thought in the afternoon, was, that it coul be the JT2Go.

This was something I installed only formy user.

So there are hundreds of entries in the registry concenring the VisView and so on.

I uninstalled the JT2Go, cleaned up the complete registry, uninstalled Se and reinstalled it from the beginning.

No difference at all!

For my user, the RM (as well as the View and Markup, but this is the same piece of software) crahses after starting it.

This has nothing to do with any SE file.

Simply starting the empty RM / VaM produces a crashlog.

The last entry there seems to be the

msvcr70.dll 7.0.9466.0

Most recent command: no command executed.

But again, this is something which is installed under windows for all users.

Somebody told me, to create a new user for me, and set it up.

But everybody can imagine what work it would be, to transfer all the parameters, links, favorites, and so on.

To set up any software I use according to my personal settings.

So I hope, that the real reason will be find very soon, to prevent me from setting up a new user.

thanks and regards

Wolfgang

regards
Wolfgang

It doesn't have anything to do with the actual username, does it? Wasn't there a bug a while back that manifested itself in names that used characters legal to windows, but illegal and crash-causing elsewhere?

-Dylan Gondyke

Hi Dylan,

no it doesn't seem so.

Just changed the new user name saem as the old one with extension xx2 and everything works fine there

My idea is that it could be JT2Go since there will be used the same VisViews etc.

And JT2Go was installed for my user account only.

But after uninstalling and deleting everything in the registry what was pointing onto JT2Go there was no difference to before.

Crashing when starting Revision manager

regards and thanks

Wolfgang

regards
Wolfgang

[ Edited ]

Hello,

I found this workaround:

delete the PLMvis registry key under HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\TypeLib\

Regards