Solved! Go to solution

ST8 Save-As Image ".vrml" For Color 3D Printing Creating Faceted Models

Hello,

I am trying to save out colored .vrml files from Solid Edge assembly for use with a Colorjet 3D Printer. It creates the models, however the "resolution" or triangle generation is set way low for some reason. Any rounded object opens in the 3D Print software very faceted (polygon with a lot of sides) instead of a cylinder. Is there a way to up the "resolution" like you can when exporting to .stl? The only option is what units you want to export to. I see you can export fully rendered colored models from Keyshot as well, however the version of Keyshot that comes with Solid Edge has this functionality locked out. The 3D Edit software I could color these files with is not cooperating with these models for some reason, so exporting a "good" .vrml is what I need to do. I am under a tight deadline getting these models made, so any help is much appreciated. 

Thank you!

2 REPLIES
Solution
Solution
Accepted by topic author oldspeed442
‎12-03-2015 08:56 AM

Re: ST8 Save-As Image ".vrml" For Color 3D Printing Creating Faceted Models

Guessing here -- haven't seen VRML used in the last 10 years -- but I would think it is taking the existing tesselation of the model and just outputting it. So you could go into Options and go on the view tab and set your Arc Smoothness up further or put Auto Sharpen on high. This should change how many triangles it uses to render, which will likely affect how many in the VRML output. give it a shot.

Dan Staples
Director, Solid Edge Product Development

Re: ST8 Save-As Image ".vrml" For Color 3D Printing Creating Faceted Models

dcstaples wrote:

Guessing here -- haven't seen VRML used in the last 10 years -- but I would think it is taking the existing tesselation of the model and just outputting it. So you could go into Options and go on the view tab and set your Arc Smoothness up further or put Auto Sharpen on high. This should change how many triangles it uses to render, which will likely affect how many in the VRML output. give it a shot.

That worked perfectly! Thank you so much Dan.