Solved! Go to solution

ST8 Sheet Metal - Save As Flat

[ Edited ]

Hi Edgeheads,

I've been designing a sheet metal assembly in ST8 for a few days now, and today I got to a point where I needed to export a few flat patterns to DXF for the laser.....however, on my installation only, ST8 throws the below error[s] back at me.

Happens in both Sync & Ordered....but not on our second PC.

Has anybody seen this, &/or know of a solution? [below images , are in order of appearance....]

I tried copying the "sesmf.ini" file from the working machine, to mine, but still no joy.

My Surface Pro3 has only ever had ST7 installed on it, untill moving to ST8.

Sean Cresswell
Design Manager Streetscape Limited
Solid Edge ST10 [MP0] Classic [x2 seats]
Windows 10
11 REPLIES

Re: ST8 Sheet Metal - Save As Flat

Sean,

We have reproduced this here.  It worked the first time, but failed when we changed some options. We are still investigating and will log a PR, copying you with potential workarounds (deleting "corrupt" ini file).

Laura

@LauraWatson,  Can you post said work around to this thread...  so that we all might take advantage of it ..

Also,  IF there is a know sequence of steps that cause thsi issue can you share so that we might try to avoid it in the first place...

Please and Thank you!!!

Solution
Solution
Accepted by topic author SeanCresswell
‎08-26-2015 04:32 AM

One of our Testing Managers just supplied @SeanCresswell with the following, and we are logging a Problem Report (PR):

We discovered the problem is caused by Windows User Account Control, which blocks write access to the SE Program folder.  (In Windows 8.x, UAC can’t be totally disabled, thus access to the Program folder is blocked.)  If SE can’t write to the Program folder to modify sesmf.ini, then it copies it to your user profile folder (%AppData%\Unigraphics Solutions\Solid Edge\Version 108).  During this copy, the file is becoming corrupted so SE can’t read it. 

You can work around this issue by copying the INI file from the SE Program folder to your profile folder.

Hope this helps,

Laura

Can't get away from the old legacy system path names can we! ;-)

We still see UGII in all the NX stuff too!

If I go to ST8 and use Windows 7 this will not be an issue?

There is no way I can take an additional step like that 20 times a day (How often I'm creating flat patterns)

12GAGE wrote:

If I go to ST8 and use Windows 7 this will not be an issue?

There is no way I can take an additional step like that 20 times a day (How often I'm creating flat patterns)

@12GAGE.....my other user is on ST8 in Windows7, and his works just fine. Which is why I thought this unusual enough to be a reportable issue.

The workaround is good, and I am now working as normal.... [whatever that is]  Robot LOL

Sean Cresswell
Windows 10

So the work around is a one time fix? Or each time you create a flat pattern?

I can understand how moving a file into a non-system protected area can help the software save information. What I don't get is how moving an INI file does not create a bunch of other problems.

Does the program continue to use the old INI file other than this one situation, where it uses the copy? (not move)

[ Edited ]

No, apparently the INI file that the system automatically generates in the "APP data" folder is getting corrupted by the UAC.....deleting the existing and manually placing the copy from "Solid Edge>Program" kicks the system back to normal, full time.

Sean Cresswell
Windows 10

If I haven't already done so.....can I just reiterate.

My most heartfelt thanks goes to the team at Solid Edge for the support I have recieved over several days, not only with this issue, but the licensing hiccup with our subscription seat of SE also.

If not for the exemplary efforts after hours, and over a weekend, including this swift reaction....my office would be dead in the water.

THANK YOU!

I hope to share a drink with as many of you, if not all, at SE-University in October. Robot Very Happy

Sean Cresswell
Windows 10